Chapter Fifteen - Ivy

We were sitting in Zane's office, as we had every night since we'd arrived home from our extended honeymoon the week before. When we got back, Zane kept his promise and took me into Denver to show me around, but other than the nearest grocery store and gas station, I couldn't remember where anything else was. It would be a while before I had the guts to venture into the city alone.

Zane didn't like to get out of the house very often. Apparently, nothing outside our home was important. His staff didn't even make the list of importance. Sometimes it made me feel awkward, but I think everyone was used to it.

His weird dislike of Sandro was a constant pain, but he seemed to do better if I showed him extra attention when they were both in the same room. It was like having a puppy. I liked puppies so I guess I couldn't get too upset.

I was reading a few magazine interviews he'd given me, to prepare for our own that was happening in a little over three weeks, while he did whatever it was he did on his laptop.

"We're trending," Zane said from his desk.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"The public named us 'Zavy' since Trina released the statement that the marriage was real. We've been trending on social media."

I stood and walked over to look at his computer screen. "Why did they have to choose something that rhymed with gravy? So weird," I said. There were pictures of us I didn't even know people had taken and 'Zavy' was everywhere. The most disturbing articles said that I was pregnant and another had a picture of Zane's black eyes. That one claimed my father had gotten ahold of him and forced him to marry me.

What in the world is wrong with people? None of these things held a hint of truth.

"I can't wait until we do this interview so people will know the real story. Well, the real fake story."

"I warned you what was in store."

"I don't think we should look at any more social media, it's poisonous."

Zane looked up at me over his shoulder. "You can't let it affect how you see yourself. I let it tear me up inside when my life fell apart. There are a few reporters out there who tell the truth, but not many. I never wanted my real fans to feel like I didn't appreciate them but when all I saw was my failure all over the place, I had to get out of the limelight."

"Why do you want to get back into that life so bad?"

"I may have really messed up, but it didn't change the fact that I'd always wanted to act."

"I don't think that's the only reason," I whispered. He tensed but then took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

"I don't want the reason I walked away from acting to be because I was forced to. I wanted it to be a decision I made because I didn't want it anymore. At this point, no director trusts me enough to bring me into a project. That's not how I want to go out. I don't want that to be what people remember me by."

I nodded and walked back to the couch to finish reading. "These questions are so personal."

"It comes with the job. I told-,"

"I know," I interrupted. "You told me what to expect. I'm not complaining, I just think it's bizarre that people feel entitled to this information."

"I'm sure you've been obsessed with an actor or two in your life."

"Not like my mom," I smiled. "I had a thing for boy bands when I was younger but other than that I never watched much television. I explored the woods when I got bored."