Chapter Twenty-Four - Ivy

My initial thought was that Zane could take his dad down if he wanted to. So why wasn't he? I looked around the living room, my heart racing, but nothing made sense. His mom and sister were sitting in a corner crying, neither of them made a move to help Zane or stop his father. Zane was clearly not unconscious because he held one arm in front of his face and one near his ribs. Nothing made sense.

Richard stopped kicking and stumbled away to a table. He was mumbling something under his breath, but I didn't hear it and when he lifted a beer to his lips, things started to register in my mind. I was fortunate enough to never have had an encounter with someone who was drunk, but just one glance around the room, and my experience with Zane, told me this was normal.

I wasn't thinking, I know that, but when Richard made a move toward Zane, I ran as fast as I could and threw myself on his body, receiving the kick that was meant for him. His foot connected with my hip and I felt so weak when I yelped from the pain. Zane jerked and sat up quickly. He only allowed himself to be shocked at my presence for a moment, before anger like I've never seen filled his eyes.

I'd witnessed Zane's anger and wrath. Every morning in the basement for a few weeks he'd unleash this beast within him, but this was something new. It sent chills down my spine and I was helpless when he stood, leaving me on the floor.

Each step he took across the room was full of purpose and when he reached his father he picked him up by the shirt, from where Sandro had placed him on the couch. I hadn't even noticed Sandro making a move for Richard. All I cared about was my husband.

"You messed up, old man," he said. His voice was strained with something more than anger.

"Is that the wife you've been keeping away from us, son?" His dad asked. His words were slow and slurred. "Maybe I should press charges for trespassing!" Spittle flew from his mouth as he yelled but Zane answered his question with a closed fist. I heard the crack of bone as his knuckles connected with Richard's jaw.

"My wife was none of your concern until you touched her, but now?" Zane laughed darkly. "Now you have a lot more to worry about than someone trespassing."

His mom ran over to where Zane was standing and tried to pull his hands away from his father. "Zane, honey, let your dad go, okay? We can work all of this out."

I'd forgotten she was even here and the minute I saw her, I was angry. She'd let her husband brutally attack her son for however long this had been happening. From the moment I sat down on a plane, leaving Ohio, I knew there was something inside this man that needed me. I may not have been the best at comfort or knowing what to do, but I knew I could be there for him. And even if I couldn't physically protect him, I wanted to. I would go to the gym and get strong, take lessons on how to fight, and learn how to be tough just so I could protect him. I hated his mom because she'd never protected him.

"Sandro," Zane said, throwing his dad back onto the couch. "Don't let him up."

"Yes, sir." He answered.

"Zane!" His mom grabbed his arm and tried to get him to look at her, but he only had eyes for me.

"Are you okay?" he asked. When I nodded, his expression looked angry. "Why'd you follow me?"

"I needed to stop whatever was happening to you. I couldn't take watching you go through this again. Please don't be upset with me, I just wanted to help you."

Surprise flashed in his eyes and he pulled me to his chest, wrapping his arms tight around me. A sob escaped me the same time I remembered my dad was on the phone. I'd barely pulled away from Zane when I heard the sirens. He looked down at me, clearly confused. I pulled my phone from my back pocket and held it to my ear.