Chapter Thirty-Two - Zane

SEPTEMBER

When Trina called and told me about a possible job, I didn't tell anyone. I felt so guilty about not telling Ivy right away, but I was really conflicted and wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I sat her down.

Trina seemed to be calling me every couple days, and even if Kayne wasn't keeping Ivy and I up all night, I still would have been annoyed. All I wanted was to enjoy my daughter's first few days without my agent hounding me about making a decision.

Alina Dent was a director and apparently she wanted me for a script that had recently landed in her lap. All I knew was that I'd be playing a supporting role, which was more than I could have ever hoped for.

There was something missing though; joy.

I'd waited years for this to happen to me, and yet here I was staring at my ceiling, wondering why I wasn't happy about it.

I kept trying to picture my life as an actor with Ivy and Kayne in it, and it didn't work. That wasn't the only problem. I tried picturing the man I was now as an actor and there was something wrong with the pieces because they just didn't fit.

I gave myself two weeks to think about my answer before I finally called Trina back. She was roaring mad that I'd taken so long, but when I told her I didn't want the job, she sounded relieved.

"You didn't want me to take it?" I asked.

"I don't know why I felt that way, and I hope if you still want to act you won't let me hold you back, but I hoped you wouldn't want this anymore."

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I didn't want you to think it was because I didn't have faith in you, which I absolutely do. I just want you to be happy, and I don't believe you were happy acting," she said. I absorbed her words and felt so much relief in them. She didn't think I was a failure.

"I'm glad you're around, Trina. I don't know what I would have done without you," I admitted.

"Finally!" she yelled and laughed. "I have a verbal confirmation that I haven't been a terrible agent."

I laughed with her. "I guess I haven't been very vocal about how much I appreciate you."

"I won't lie, for the first year of our business relationship, I thought you were a punk that hated my guts."

"Oh, I definitely hated you. Until you saved my life."

We were quiet for a moment, remembering the shape I'd been in as a teenager.

"I'm gonna get off here, T. I have to go tell Ivy the news."

"You haven't talked to her about any of this?"

"I didn't want to tell her until I knew for sure, just in case something changed my mind."

"Good luck, Zane. Even if I'm not your agent anymore, I still consider you part of my family. I'll see you soon," she promised and hung up before I could mess up her confession with my smart mouth.

I smiled before laying my cell on my desk and making my way upstairs.

Ivy was sitting in the middle of the bed, feeding Kayne. She looked up and a grin stretched across her face.

"Hey, Baby," I said. I walked across the room and sat beside her.

"Where have you been?" she asked quietly. I looked down and watched Kayne. She was struggling between sleep and hunger, eyes closed, only sucking on the bottle every few seconds.