Chapter Twenty-Three - Ivy

I knew the moment Zane got up from the bed and I was still awake when he arrived back at home. I couldn't ignore it anymore when I heard the yelling.

I wasn't going to let things go this time.

I quietly walked to the basement stairs and descended them slowly. I didn't want to catch Zane's attention and I successfully made my way over to a corner and sat down, bringing my legs toward my chest so I could rest my chin on my knees. I wrapped my arms around my legs and silently cried as he punched and kicked the bag that hung from the ceiling. I wanted to approach him so badly, but I was still scared that he wouldn't see it was me past his rage.

Zane had blood running down from his upper lip. I assumed he'd been hit hard since there was a cut across the top of his nose as well. Thankfully, that was the only wound I saw and I wish it would have made me feel better, but it didn't. I ran through so many things in my mind, trying to figure out what it was that was going on. Was he fighting for money? Fun? Was he involved in something really bad and couldn't get out? Was he doing drugs again?

Every question only brought on more, so I forced myself to stop. I'd get my answer the next time he left the house.

Sandro walked into the basement and looked around before spotting me in the corner. He pointed his finger upstairs and I shook my head no. I absolutely refused to leave him. I couldn't.

"Get her out of here." Zane demanded. His voice was hoarse, it sounded almost painful for him to speak.

"No!" I yelled. I don't know who I was yelling at, but neither of them listened. Zane turned around so he couldn't see whatever happened next and I'm glad he did. Sandro, my best friend, walked over to me and grabbed me, throwing me over his shoulder, and carried me upstairs. I pounded his back with my fists and cried, begging him to let me go so I could go back down to him. When he finally sat me down on my feet, we were standing in the living room and I pushed him away from me.

"I need to be with him." I said through clenched teeth. I felt so betrayed.

"I don't care what you think you need. He wanted you out of there." He answered. I moved to get past him and he grabbed my arm, keeping me there.

"Let go of me!" I sobbed. I stopped moving when I heard Zane's yell from the basement, then tried harder to get back to him when he stopped. "Please, just let me go to him, Sandy. He's hurting."

"I can't let you down there." His voice was full of authority and I hated it. I glared at him.

"You're supposed to be my friend."

Anger flashed in his eyes. "In this moment, I am an employee. I'm here to keep you safe and that's exactly what I'm doing!"

"Then get out!"

"You can't kick me out." His hand tightened on my arm. I tried to stomp on his foot but he quickly maneuvered me, so my arms were straightened behind my back and I was pushed as far away from his body as he could get me.

"That hurts!" I yelled.

"Stop acting insane, Ivy!" He yelled right back at me. "I can't let you down there and if you don't stop fighting, I'm going to have to knock you out or something. I don't feel like wrestling with you while your husband is downstairs hulking out. I'm not entirely convinced I could take him when he's in this kind of mood."

"Fine." I exhaled a pent up breath when he released my arms. I turned and saw that he was ready to pounce on me if I made a move toward the basement door, so I walked away.

Sandro found me, an hour later, sitting on the bedroom floor folding laundry through my tears. He came in and sat across from me, picking up a towel and helping.