five.

a little bit after sunrise the next day, kierah and katara head over to master pakku's training area. they see aang bending a stream of water, a bit awkwardly, if kierah's being honest.

  she then sees master pakku laugh, actually laugh, then say to aang, "not bad. maybe if you keep practicing you'll get it by the time you're my age."

   aang turns, frowning, but smiles when he spots kierah and katara.

  "hey guys!"

  kierah waves back, as does katara.

  "what do you think you're doing?"

kierah and katara stare at master pakku in shock for a few seconds, before he continues, "it's past sunrise. you're late."

aang, katara, and kierah grin at each other, then turn back to master pakku for him to finish the lesson.

  a few weeks later, kierah and katara were well on their way to becoming water bending masters. kierah has also become very close with aang, katara, and sokka.

  she and katara became fast friends after the fight with master pakku. aang may have been younger than kierah, but that didn't stop the two of them from having a lot of fun riding on appa and going penguin sledding, among other things. sokka, on the other hand, was slightly wary of kierah at first, but after she snapped back at him, fed up with his sarcastic comments, he warmed up to her. to kierah, sokka's personality was basically who she was in her head, and when they were together, that kierah seemed to come out a lot more.

  currently, kierah and aang were watching katara beat up another one of master pakku's students. kierah had just won a fight against one of the students, and now sangok was losing to katara.

***

  meanwhile, princess yue and sokka were riding on appa when all of a sudden, soot started falling from the sky. they quickly flew back down, and sokka met up with katara, aang, and kierah, while princess yue ran off to find her father. then, all of them headed to the royal palace to meet with the chief.

  once they were inside, everyone filed into the meeting room and sat down. kierah, aang, katara, and sokka chose seats at the front, with aang on the end, kierah and katara next to him, and sokka next to kierah on the other end. chief arnook explains the situation, and then asks for volunteers for a dangerous mission.

  men start to rise and walk up to the chief. the chief paints three red lines on each man's forehead. out of the corner of her eye, kierah sees sokka make as to stand up.

"no!" kierah whisper-shouts at him, grabbing the edge of his parka. he doesn't listen to her and goes up to chief arnook. kierah turns to aang and katara, worried, and finds their faces mirroring hers.

  the rest of the meeting passes in a blur, and it seems only seconds later that aang is landing back on the ground after attempting to fight the fire nation ships from the air.

  immediately, kierah and katara rush over to the airbender, princess yue following close behind. the princess had met up with kierah and katara after aang had flown off.

  "there's too many of them," aang says out of breath. "i tried to fight them all, but i'm just one kid."

"we know," katara says encouragingly. "no one expected you to be able to do it all single-handedly."

katara helps aang up, and the four of them walk over to a balcony and stand looking at the night sky.

"the legends say the moon was the first waterbender," yue says. "our ancestors saw how it pushed and pulled the tides and learned to do it themselves."

"i've always noticed the my waterbending is stronger at night," kierah says thoughtfully.

"our strength comes from the spirit of the moon," yue continues. "our life comes from the spirit of the ocean. they work together to keep balance."

kierah notices aang has been looking little down during yue's story, before he suddenly brightens.

"the spirits!" aang cried. "maybe i can find them and get their help!"

"how can you do that?" yue asked, confused.

"the avatar is the bridge between our world and the spirit world!" katara says excitedly. "aang can talk to the spirits!"

"maybe they'll give you the wisdom you need to win the battle!" yue says.

"or maybe they'll unleash a crazy amazing spirit attack on the fire nation!" aang says, waving his arms in a strange waving motion.

yue, kierah, and katara look at him strangely.

"or wisdom," aang says straightening up. "that's good too."

"the problem is," katara says. "last time aang got into the spirit world by accident. how are you going to get there this time?"

"i have an idea!" yue says. "follow me."

𝚜𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚛𝚝 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛. 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚢 𝚋𝚎 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚔𝚎𝚗𝚍. 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚟𝚘𝚝𝚎, 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚎!
-𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚢