eight.

"i wonder what crazy thing they're doing now," katara says to kierah, both of them just laying on their beds in their room and listening to the rumbling noises coming from outside..

"who knows," kierah says. another rumble sounds from outside.

"maybe we should just go make sure they're okay," katara says, worried. she stands up. "do you want to come?"

"sure," kierah says, also standing up. "it's not like i have anything better to do."

the two girls walk off to the base tower, where the rumbling is coming from. they start to run as they approach and hear the rumbling noise grow alarmingly loud. on their way down a stairway, they spot sokka running down the opposite one.

"what's going on?" katara calls to him frantically.

"general fong's gone crazy!" sokka says as they meet up at the bottom of the stairways. "he's trying to force aang into the avatar state!"

katara runs off towards a group of soldiers preparing to attack, and kierah and sokka go the other way. sokka throws his boomerang at a soldier mounted atop an ostrich horse, knocking him off. kierah and sokka climb onto its back, and ride it towards where aang is being chased by another ostrich horse, kierah taking out soldiers along the way with well-placed water blasts.

out of the corner of her eye, kierah spots katara being surrounded by earth coins. she watches in horror from across the arena as general fong deflects katara's attacks, turning the ground into mud. he then starts to sink a helpless katara down into the ground.

kierah and sokka, atop their ostrich horse, start to run towards katara. before they reach her, general fong sinks the feet of their ostrich horse into the ground, sending them both flying. sokka lands right in the hole of an earth coin, kierah landing on top of him. dazed, they are forced to watch, helpless, as katara sinks further and further into the ground.

through her hazy vision, kierah sees aang pleading with the general to stop. the last thing she sees before she blacks out is katara sinking completely into the ground.

as aang enters the avatar state and starts attacking general fong, sokka struggles to get out of the earth coin. he finally wiggles free, jumps down, and reaches back up to grab kierah's limp body. sokka turns back around to see katara, perfectly fine, standing back above ground.

"avatar aang! can you hear me? your friend is fine!" general fong pleads, pointing towards katara.

a few moments later, aang comes out of the avatar state, landing on the ground.

"i'm glad you're okay," aang says, hugging katara.

"um, guys?" sokka says.

aang and katara turn around to see sokka carrying an unconscious kierah bridal style. general fong chooses that moment to interrupt.

"that was almost perfect! now we just need to find a way to control you when you're like that!" he exclaims.

"are you out of your mind?" aang says angrily. "look what you did to my friend!" he gestures to kierah.

"oh, i'm sure she'll be fine," general fong says dismissively.

katara whacks him hard from behind with a water whip, knocking him out.