Blink and you'll miss it

I don't own One Piece. If I did, I would make Foxy leave so fast even his Slow Slow Beam wouldn't be able to stop him.

----------------------------------------------------

"Ooh ooh look over there, Big Sis!"

"Hm?" Your eyes flitted around the stalls. So much greed confined to a single space. Your heart was already thudding so loud you were worried that Chopper would be able to hear it.

"There!" He pointed, practically bouncing out of your arms, "I want to try some of the caramel popcorn! We can eat it while watching the first round!"

You forced yourself to smile as you walked towards the sickly sweet smell, attempting not to gag, "Sure, I'll buy you a box."

Walking around like this had been a bad idea. No, a terrible idea.

"None for you Big Sis?" He cocked his head, "But you like sweet stuff."

Not today. You had a feeling that your stomach would revolt if you actually tried to eat anything, let alone anything those leering people were offering you. "I...I'll nick bits of yours Chopper. Sanji made me something earlier, so I'm pretty full."

That seemed to placate him, "Ah! Okay then!"

"So that's one box for you then," the masked vendor grinned toothily, "I'll give ya a discount, as we're going to be crewmates soon and all."

Crewmates.

Your instincts screamed to run. Just run away from the grins and the twitching hands. Run run run away!

"Big Sis...?" A cool hoof pressed against your forehead, "Are...are you alright? You're sweating..."

"I'm fine," you murmured, frantically tossing down a couple of beli notes and snatching up the laden box of popcorn, "Just a little tired."

He grimaced, "Is it...you know?"

Dipping your head, you felt your lips tighten. You hated lying to them, but letting them believe a falsehood they came up with was a whole lot easier than trying to explain just whatever mess you were feeling right now. "Yeah. It's Kronos stuff."

"I see." You blinked as Chopper wiggled his way out of your arm, hopping to the ground and taking the popcorn from you. He glared at you, "Why don't you go back to the Merry? We need you to be at full strength for the second game. Especially with your damaged lung. Go take a nap or something."

A nap sounded lovely. More than lovely, it sounded fantastic. The smile on your face was genuine this time, "Yeah. I think I'm going to do that. Thanks Chopper."

He baulked, "You're going a lot more calmly than I expected. There really must be something wrong with you."

You chuckled despite yourself, "I'm really that stubborn, huh?"

"Of course you are!" Glancing down, Chopper drew circles with his feet, "But seriously... We're worried about you. You're not invincible. It's okay to rely on us once in a while."

But you did. You already relied on them so damn much. They were the life raft you desperately tried to cling onto.

"Will do Chopper," you grinned, ruffling his fur.

"OKAY!" A megaphone blasted in the distance, "NOW IS THE MOMENT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR; THE BEGINNING OF THE DONUT RACE!"

"Ah!" Chopper blinked, turning towards the roaring crowd, "It's starting!"

You patted him on the back, "Go find the others. I'll be on the Going Merry, promise."

He huffed, pouting up at you, "You'd better! I'll be checking on you, mind!"