Chapter XXXVII

"The truth is often what we make of it." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, from Collected Wisdom of the Jedi Masters

Pete turned to Patrick, his brown eyes meeting Patrick's baby blue ones. "Master Kenobi's alive?" he said.

Patrick was just as surprised as Pete was that Obi-Wan had survived Order 66, and he was even more surprised that the Jedi Master had bothered to contact them. He'd met Obi-Wan a few times, but they had always seemed to be fighting on different fronts during the war. They'd never been particularly close.

"Of course I'm alive," Obi-Wan said. "The real mystery is how you two are still here."

"It's kind of a long story," Pete said. "We defended the Jedi Temple and barely escaped with our lives..."

"We hid in the Ancient Texts Library during the raid, and then we flew one of the escape pods to Alsakan," Patrick said.

"It doesn't sound brave and heroic when you say it like that," Pete said.

"I suppose it doesn't matter," Obi-Wan said. "Pete and Patrick, you may not realize it, but you've done a great service to the galaxy."

"Thank you," Pete said, beaming.

"It wasn't just us, Obi-Wan," Patrick said. "Defending Tatooine was Joe's idea, and Frank, Gerard, and Ray took out most of the ships. Not to mention Mikey, Hayley, Andy..."

"It takes a team to do anything as grand as saving a whole planet," Obi-Wan said. "Make sure to congratulate all of them for me."

"Of course," Patrick said when all of a sudden, he had an idea. "You know, you could join us too," he said to Obi-Wan. "We're fighting the Empire with the Truwel Rebellion, and we could always use another Jedi in our ranks."

Obi-Wan thought about it for a few minutes and then said, "I don't think I can."

"Why not?" Patrick asked.

"The Jedi were supposed to be guardians of peace and justice, but we failed. We abandoned our ideals, we waged war against the Separatists, and ultimately, we caused our own downfall. Those of us who survived the war have lost our friends, our brothers and sisters in arms. I...I lost someone very close to me, and I'm sure you have too."

Patrick nodded, remembering his old master. He wondered what Ki-Adi-Mundi would think of everything that had happened since Order 66, what he'd think of the life he led now, what he'd think of Pete. Even over a month after Mundi's death, it still hurt to think of his master.

"After all of this, we need to return to our roots. We need to make peace, not war." Obi-Wan paused and then added, "Besides, I have important business on this planet, and trust me, it might help you in the fight against the Empire one day. Your destiny lies out there, in the stars, but mine lies here, on Tatooine."

"We understand," Patrick said.

"So why did you radio us?" Pete asked.

"I was getting there," Obi-Wan said. "I thought you two should know that there are other Jedi out there."

"How many do you think there are?" Patrick asked.

"A few dozen at most," Obi-Wan said. "I only know of a couple for sure."

"Is Master Mundi..."

"Neither Mundi nor Dystrala made it," Obi-Wan said. "I'm sorry."

Pete looked heartbroken, so Patrick snuggled closer to him, hoping to provide some much-needed comfort. However, Patrick wasn't feeling much better. He'd felt his master's death through the Force, but hearing it from Obi-Wan made it more real somehow.