17

Toni

I was on my way home. I could not believe what just went down. Did that really just happen? I never wanted to see him again.

I couldn't face Janet at all. I knew what he said were lies but what if she believed him.

She wouldn't want to talk to me and after seeing her conversate with Jermaine like everything was normal between them, I didn't want to talk to her either.

I arrived home and slowly opened my front door. I was greeted with a trail of roses leading up to my bedroom. As I followed the trail, tears began to form in my eyes. I finally made it to my bedroom and slowly opened the door. Two big bouquets of red roses sat on my bed and in between the roses sat a small black box.

I slowly picked up the box and opened it to see a beautiful promise ring.

Tears began falling uncontrollably, I wish tonight never happened. I needed Janet more than ever.

If only we could understand each other, if only she knew where I was coming from. If only we could communicate.

I wanted to call her but I knew she wouldn't answer. I picked up my phone to dial her number anyways but was interrupted by an incoming phone call from Tamar.

"Hello?" I said as I wiped my eyes.

"You need to talk, talk now." Tamar said. She was clearly mad. "You're making headlines for the wrong damn reasons Toni."

"I don't want to talk right now. I don't care what the press has to say about me."

"Well shit Toni! You could have at least told me you swung that way. I'm sure there are some lies but please, tell me what's going on." There was a pause. "Talk."

"I don't want to talk Tamar, not over the phone and not now."

"I'm catching the next flight to you. You need to explain yourself, at least to me. I can tell this shit is eating you up, since I'm not as busy I'm coming to you." She sighed. "I'll call you when I land."

"Okay, I guess. Love you." I said as more tears began to fall. I needed to see at least one of my sisters so bad, I just wish it wasn't under these circumstances.

Janet

I made it home and immediately went to my bedroom. I didn't want to be bothered for a while. I needed to be secluded, with my own thoughts.

I changed out of my formal attire and into something more comfortable. I hadn't eaten since breakfast but I couldn't find the energy to do anything other than lie in bed.

As I laid in the dark, I began to dig deep into my thoughts.

I didn't even know where to begin.

Was Toni cheating on me this entire time? Why would she play the damn victim whenever I did small shit?

I can get that I mainly caused our issues, but damn she can't blame me for everything that she does. It was a small kiss, a drunk kiss at that. How does a drunk kiss cause so much toxicity in a relationship? I don't know how much longer I can deal with her shit. Everything she does, it somehow stems from that bullshit kiss between Jermaine and I.

Oh no, Jermaine. I didn't mean to snap on him the entire night, Kenneth just really upset me and I guess I took that anger out on him.

I took a deep sigh and decided to call him. The phone rung for a while and just when I thought he wouldn't answer, the line connected.

"Hey Jermaine." I said quietly.

"What can I help you with?" He responded.

"I just want to say that I'm sorry about tonight, I really am. When you appeared at the banquet, it took me by surprise. I really didn't expect to see you for a while. I needed time Jermaine. I needed time to think about us and our friendship. I just wasn't ready."

"I understand that Janet, but don't you think if you would have told me that you needed space I would have given it to you? Now I look like a plain fool for showing up trying to get back with you."

"Jermaine, this is exactly why I had to rethink our friendship. I know that you still have feelings for me but a friendship with an ex doesn't seem right, especially if I'm in a relationship."

"It doesn't matter Janet. I just needed you in my life, friend or partner. You've impacted my life so much that I can't live without you." He was getting emotional, I could tell. "Even with you in a relationship, I don't mind. I just need your friendship and your support. I don't see you any differently Jan."

There was a silence. I didn't know what to say.

"Since when do you like women?" He bluntly asked.

"I don't know. Toni's just something different." I sighed.

"I just wish you would have told me instead of me finding out with everyone else. I wouldn't have judged you if you came direct."

"Well we didn't plan on telling anyone, she trusted him." I began to become a bit furious at the thought of his betrayal.

"Yeah, I suppose that's true." He said.

Minutes passed and all I could hear was his shallow breathing, I didn't know what more to say or do.

"Well." Jermaine finally said. "I have to get to the studio in a few hours. I'm sorry about everything."

"I'm sorry too Jermaine. One day it'll all be straightened out."

"Just call me if you need me, I'll always be here, I love you Jan." He said, I smiled.

"I love you too Jermaine, goodnight."

I hung up the phone as I began to cry. There was no way to describe the emotions I was feeling.

Why me?