You are a memory

Justin is sitting on the floor of the showers in the locker-room next to Diego.

"We didn't have a chance to finish our conversation earlier." Diego whispers to him.

Justin ignores him but feels his blood starting to boil.

"I know you actually have nothing to be jealous about since you've been fucking her this whole time as well."

Justin shoots him a sharp look.

"What the fuck do you mean?"

"I saw you leave together at the party."

"Yeah, she drove me home but she came back to you didn't she?" Justin can't help but feel jealous.

"That she did." Diego answers with a big smile to taunt him but Justin knows it so he doesn't react.

"By the way, Beecher told me how drunk you were on Saturday. Nice job on being sober. No wonder Jessica choose me over you."

This is too much for him so Justin gets up.

"Stay down!" Kerba orders him but he quickly catches how angry Justin looks so he stands up as well and takes him by the arm.

"Let's check the doors okay?"

Jessica turns around and notices how traumatized Tyler looks. She approaches him slowly and asks in a low voice "Are you okay? Did you see something?"

"No, it's just... it's the last place in the world I want to be in." He answers in a chocked sob.

"I understand."

She looks around but there's no way they can leave so she continues.

"I'm here with you. We're going to be fine. Right now we need to follow protocol ; sit on the toilets with our legs off the floor and close the doors okay?"

She hopes listing the rules will take his mind of his trauma, even for a few seconds.

"Here." She guides him inside one of the stool.

"Now sit down and bring your legs up."

Tyler is shaking but follows her directions. She squats in front of him and whispers.

"I'm not going to leave you. I'll be in the stool just next to you. Once I close the door you lock it behind me and you get back into this position okay?"

He nods so she leaves and joins the stool next to him. She sits on the toilets and pulls on the sleeves of her jacket, trying to control her own shaking.

"It's just a drill. Everything is going to be fine." She whispers to Tyler against the wall, as a way to reassure him and convince herself.

Justin and Kerba are in his office.

"Why the hell didn't you respect protocol?"

"I'm sorry, but if I couldn't stay any second longer next to him coach."

"Did you do that? The bruise on his face?"

"No. I never touched him."

"Good. Let's keep it that way okay?"

Justin nods.

"What happened between the two of you? I've noticed it this morning too."

"It's nothing. I shouldn't let him get to me."

"You shouldn't."

"I won't. Sorry."

Justin is about to leave the office when Kerba stops him.

"I know it's not a good moment to talk about this, but you weren't at the meeting yesterday. Why?"

"I was just needed at home. I'll be here next time."

Justin lies. He reached the point where he feels like all of this is just pointless. Everyone think he's just a worthless junkie, including him. Except Jessica.

"Coach? Don't they usually tell you if it's a drill?"

Kerba nods and they leave the office when they hear gunshots.

Justin and his coach run to sit down next to each other in the showers.

All of the boys jump at every new gunshot.

Justin's heart starts beating faster and faster. After all he went trough, this is the day he might die. Jessica. This is the day Jessica might die. He takes out his phone and sends her a text.

 He takes out his phone and sends her a text

Another gunshot. Jessica puts her hand in front of her mouth. She sees the screen on her phone light up when she receives a new text from Justin.

Justin : Please tell me u decided to skip school today as well.

The irony of this almost makes her chuckle. She didn't want to come back to school today but Zach forced her hand and here she was. She knows Zach is okay in the photo lab, he texted her as soon as the lock-down begun.

Jessica : I'm at school but okay. U?

Justin : In the locker-room, okay. Where are u? Who with?

Jessica : Bathroom with Tyler.

This time Justin takes a little longer to reply and when he does it's pretty short, but what else is there to say?

Justin : Be safe.

Jessica : You too.

Jessica looks up from her phone and realizes the gunshots have stopped. She waits a few more minutes before she speaks to Tyler.

"I think he's gone."

"Do you think he can find us in here?"

"I don't know." She answers in a trembling voice before she decides to be more reassuring for her friend.

"It sounds like he's moving away. If he comes back the doors can shield us. They're two layers of a really heavy metal."

"We're going to be fine?"

"We are." Jessica smiles while answering, hoping Tyler will sense it.

They stay quiet for a minute or two before Tyler talks.

"I'm so sorry."

"Why?"

"For putting you through this. At Spring Fling."

Jessica nods, remembering the night in question.

"You never told me how it was for you." Tyler continues.

"I was in a bathroom that night too." The irony makes Jessica chuckles nervously.

When Tyler doesn't respond, she decides to continue the story, trying to take their mind of the situation they are facing now.