Do You Want To Come With?

"I'm surprised you didn't want to go see Justin." Alex tells Jessica as they drive off. He knows he got out of the hospital, but she doesn't.

"We have a lot of homework. I'm sure he'll understand." Jessica explains, knowing it's the worst excuse possible, but she's running out of excuse to explain why she's avoiding him.

"Did you call him today?"

"I texted him."

"Did you tell him about what people are saying?"

"Why would I do that?"

"It concerns him as much as it concerns you."

"I know, but I don't see how it would help anyway. People say stupid shit. That's just the way it is."

Alex looks at her with worry. He has no idea how he can help her. Jessica being pregnant was all everyone talked about today. Many people wondered who the father was. Many figured out it was Justin, but some mentioned Diego, even Bryce, which is the most disgusting thing they could say.

Clay arrives home and is happy to see Justin lying on his bed, reading a comic. It feels like their life is back to normal, in some ways at least.

 "I see you already made a mess of the place

"I see you already made a mess of the place." He jokes as he sees the dirty dishes on the table.

"Mom said I should rest. I'm only following orders." Justin replies playfully.

Clay chuckles and cleans the dishes.

"How did it go today? I imagine people had a lot to say." Justin asks.

Clay is happy to have his back turned against him, because his face isn't showing anything other than worry and anger. He pretends not to have heard the question and finishes to clean the dishes. Then he walks towards his bed and sits down.

"So. Have you figured out how you wanted to surprise her?"

"Turns out I can't. I'm on house arrest."

"What?"

"The folks don't want me to leave the house."

Clay offers him an apologetic smile. He knows how overprotective his mom can be.

"How was today?" Justin asks again.

"Pretty much like every other day. School is boring."

Justin rolls his eyes.

"You know that's not what I meant. How did people react?"

Clay hesitates on how to answer.

 "Clay?"

"Clay?"

"I really think you should talk to Jessica."

"I will, but you can still tell me about it."

"No. Not just about that. You really need to talk to her."

"Is something wrong?" Justin asks as he sits up.

"She's not doing as well as you think or rather as well as she seems."

Justin gets really worried and Clay feels guilty. Maybe he shouldn't have been so honest.

"I don't understand. She seemed fine. What are you saying exactly?"

"She's not fine. She doesn't want you to worry so she acts like she is, but she's really not. You should talk to her."

 "I want to, but I can't leave

"I want to, but I can't leave. Can you invite her here?" Justin tries to find a way to see her.

Clay knows there's no point. Jessica won't come if she doesn't know Justin is here and he doesn't want to spoil his surprise.

"I can try."

Clay : Hey Jess. I'm sorry if you felt ambushed earlier. Do you think you could stop by the house? I need to talk to you.

Jessica : Sorry, but I'm busy. Is something wrong with Justin?

Clay doesn't want to lie to her about this. It's just going to scare her shitless for no reason.

"She says she's busy. She won't come unless I tell her it's about you." Clay informs Justin.

"Don't. There's no need to worry her." Justin sighs as he lies back down, defeated.

"That doesn't mean you can't see her tonight." Clay tells him.

Justin looks at him, waiting for a solution.

"Come on. How many times did you sneak out from here?"

"The folks are paying attention. They are going to notice."

"Not if we wait until they're both in bed." Clay explains.

"Holly shit Clay. Are you seriously encouraging me to sneak out?"

"I'm just trying to be a good friend."

"If they found out, you'll cover for me?"

"I'll do even better. I'll drive you there and I can come back to pick you up tomorrow morning before they wake up."

"You would really do that for me?"

"I will. For both of you ... and also because you just got out of the hospital so it would be pretty dumb to let you walk there alone in the middle of the night."

Justin chuckles.