Slow

"So?" Charlie asks Alex when he arrives by his locker.

"I got in." He replies with a smile.

"Yes! That's amazing!" Charlie cheers and hugs him.

"Right?" Charlie makes sure when he sees the look on his boyfriend's face.

"It is yeah." Alex doesn't seem that convinced. "How was practice?" He changes the subject.

"Interesting. I heard Diego and Luke talk about Zach and Jessica." He explains in a serious tone.

"What did they say?"

"I didn't hear everything, but from what I've heard, the two of them did something together."

"Something?" Alex is confused.

"I don't know, but something wrong apparently because Luke told Diego he was right for punching Zach if it was true. What do you think it is?" Charlie tries to understand.

"No idea, but there's definitely something happening between the two of them."

"Do you think they could be like... together?"

"No. No, there's no way." Alex never considered this before.

"I don't think so either, but it would explain a lot right?"

Alex considers it for a few seconds.

"It would, actually." As hard as it is to believe, it would make sense and explain many things so Alex accepts it might be a possibility.

The bell rings.

"I have classes with both of them this morning. I'll try to see if I can find out something." Alex offers.

"We'll meet for lunch?" Charlie asks him.

"Sure." Alex replies before leaving to join the classroom.

He doesn't kiss Charlie before he does, because it's still kinda new to him and he hasn't really come out to anybody yet, even if all his friends know about the two of them. The whole school is a different thing.

When Jessica arrives late at school, she doesn't see Zach's car. He should be here already. He probably decided to skip today as well. She thinks back at what he said about college. He would probably be happy to know he's not the only one without a future right now. Her phones rings.

"Hello?"

- - -

"This is she."

- - -

"I know, I'm sorry."

- - -

She bites her lips. She has no idea what to say.

- - -

"Can I call you later today?"

- - -

"I haven't yet."

- - -

"I understand. I... I'll be there."

She hangs up, takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. She has to keep her shit together, just a little longer.

She thinks about Zach and how much he helped her over the last week. He needs someone to help him too. She drives off, determined to find him.