Reconciliation

Branson and his wife got off the train at Ripon; the Irishman still carrying his drowsy child.

Mary and Henry were waiting on the platform and hurried forward to meet them.

Mary stroked Sybbie's head as she got to her brother-in-law and his wife.

"Thank God you found her," she said, "the car is waiting over here."

They rode back to the Abbey in silence; Branson and Lucy dozing in the back with Sybbie in between them.

When they got to their home, all of the grownups were waiting in the hall, and the servants had congregated just outside the door to the servant's staircase. Even one of the maids, Lily, who only came during the day, was with them.

Lord and Lady Grantham, quickly followed by Sybbie's Nanny and Mr. Barrow, went straight up to Branson; who was holding his daughter, even though his arms were painfully stiff.

They fussed over Sybbie, and Cora even kissed her son-in-law's cheek, she was so happy to see them back safe and sound.

Everyone was talking at once, exclaiming their relief and joy; for they all cared dearly for the charming little girl, whose mother had been so loved within the household and out of it.

Poor Sybbie was embarrassed and exhausted, so she hid her face in her father's chest, not wishing everyone to see her.

Branson and Lucy, both sensing her discomfort, tried to get past the throng to the stairs, but were unable to do so, as more and more of the family asked questions about the search.

Mary, and her dear friend and lady's maid, Anna Bates (who was married to Robert's valet), saved them from their predicament.

Mary got the family out of the way, as her maid rounded up the servants; allowing the couple a clear path up the stairs and to Sybbie's room.

Mary, Anna, and Nanny followed them to the door.

"I'll put her to bed sir," Nanny said to Branson; indicating that he should set Sybbie down.

He held tighter to his daughter; feeling her do the same, and not wishing to part with her after such a heart-stopping scare.

"No!" He said rather abruptly, then, regretting it the next instant, went on more graciously. "I'd rather do it; thank you. I think I'll stay in her room tonight. Anna, will you get me some blankets and a pillow?"

The maid smiled.

"Of course sir."

Mary looked at him sceptically.

"You're going to sleep on the floor?"

"Yes," Branson replied firmly, and opened the door, going in without a backward glance.

Lucy chuckled.

"Come on," she said to her sister-in-law, "let's go to bed; it's been an exhausting day." 

They left as Branson brought Sybbie into her room.

The small lamp on George's side table was on, and he was in a light doze on top of his bed.