The Law

"Did you take this Identification with the owner's consent?"

Tom Branson was sitting at a table in the police station, looking across it at a uniformed officer. His head didn't hurt anymore and he was much more composed than he had been the day before, when he had woken up in a cell.

Branson answered the question with a clear and concise, "no."

"So Henry Talbot knew nothing about this? Think carefully, Mr. Branson. Identity theft is a serious charge."

He did not waver in his answer.

"He didn't know I took it. None of my family even knew I was going to Ireland; they thought I was bound for America."

"Alright; next question. Why did you come back to Ireland?"

"My mother was ill; the doctor said she could not survive. I never would have come back otherwise."

The officer nodded, and seemed a little sympathetic.

"Alright, that's all for today. We've received word that your family in England are working to get you out. There's a phone call waiting for you as well."

He paused as he saw Branson's face light up and his voice softened.

"We can't allow you to talk for more than ten minutes, and I don't think you'll be allowed to phone anyone again for a while until things are sorted out. I'm sorry, but it's the rules. We've made a stretch already."

Branson nodded, smiling sadly at the man.

"I understand. Thank you."

The officer looked down awkwardly for a moment, then led him to a room with a telephone.

"I need to be present while you talk, I'm sorry."

The Irishman couldn't care less, he just wanted to speak to his family. He picked up the phone and it was answered immediately.

"Tom! Is that you?"

Branson's heart leapt at the sound of his wife's voice.

"Lucy!"

"Oh Tom! Are you alright? Kieran told me about the blow you received!"

He laughed.

"I'm alright Lucy; it doesn't even hurt anymore."

She gave a sigh of relief.

"Thank God!"

"Lucy, I can only talk for ten minutes."

There was a pause.

"Then in that case, I think you should talk to Sybbie."

There was a short silence at the other end, then his daughter's voice came through the receiver.

"Daddy?"

Branson beamed.

"Hello Darling! How are you?"

"I'm ok, but Mummy said they hurt you!"

"I'm fine loove, they didn't hurt me. It was a misunderstanding."

"Are you sure?"

Sybbie sounded as if she were about to cry.

"Yes, I'm perfectly alright."

"When will I be able to see you again?"

"I don't know loove; soon, I hope."

"I miss you."

"I know, I miss you too."

Branson blinked hard.

"I'll write to you every day," Sybbie said, "and maybe you won't feel as lonely in there."