A Wedding and Other Events

(Narrative)

Mrs. Patmore was married to Mr. Mason eight days after Daddy left for Ireland. It was a small affair at the courthouse, with only the Parkers there with them. Later, however, they had a small reception, for all the family and servants, at Mr. Mason's farm.

We all went, but it was only to be for a little more than an hour, because we were expecting some of our relations to come from America and the servants were needed to make preparations.

I noted with delight, while we were at the reception, that Kate talked almost the whole time with Albert, who seemed very attentive.

The new footman was young and handsome, with thick dark hair and brown eyes. The old saying, one wedding brings about another came into my head and I found myself hoping it was true.

Eventually, I became bored of sitting in a chair in my nice dress. I asked George and Marigold to help me into the courtyard to play. They did so, and I leaned against the wall. With a pang of jealousy, I watched my cousins prance about, avoiding the puddles on the ground.

In a fit of mischievous glee, George flicked some mud at me.

Retaliating; I bent down to a puddle beside me and splashed the water so that it made a magnificent fountain. It crashed down upon my cousin.

Grinning, he in turn reached down and splashed me. Marigold joined him and we were all sopping wet by the time Mummy came out to look for me. She was holding Matthew, who looked at us with something that seemed like glee at the time, but which now I know was only curiosity.

"Oh Sibbie! What have you done?" Mummy exclaimed, staring at my soiled dress, "George!Marigold! What is this?"

George spoke up, avoiding her eyes.

"We were only having a bit of fun."

We all looked down at our soggy shoes. My bandages were wet, and now my ankle began to hurt again in earnest. To add to this misery, all three of us began to tremble in the cold air.

Mummy sighed.

"Look at you all; drenched and shivering! You'll catch your deaths! Come, let's get you home. Mary and Henry are leaving soon, we can all go with them in the car; I don't want you walking back."

She helped me to the front of the house and to the car; my cousins trailing behind. I lay sprawled in the back seat next to them.

I was cold and exhausted. The twinges in my ankle were now becoming excruciating.

Marigold saw me lean my head against the seat with my eyes squeezed shut.

"Are you alright Sybbie?"

I opened my eyes, my discomfort causing me to be irritable. I was annoyed that a girl who was two years younger than I, was sympathising with me.

"I'm fine!" I snapped, "look to yourself!"

With that, I turned my head away from her.

Neither one of my cousins talked to me on the ride home, and I was miserable by the time Mummy helped me into the house. Stiff and frozen, I was in no fit state to do much. Nevertheless she managed to get some comfortable, dry clothes on me.

She gave me some of my medicine and it dulled the pain. I fell asleep in front of the fireplace in the drawing room; where Mummy had seen fit to put me.

The family came in after dinner, and I was much better by that time. I still needed to go upstairs and have my own meal, but I reconciled myself with my cousins.