Parting Sorrows

(Narrative)

The whole household was nervous for my father's going, and the gathering after Matthew's christening that morning, was rather subdued. Despite Donk's attempt to keep Daddy's parting a secret from the staff, they all found out, and all of them had known about about his predicament. Even the ones who had not been there when he was banished, were fully aware of it by then.

To make things more complicated, our cook, Mrs. Patmore, had announced her engagement to Mr. Mason; one of the tenant farmers. He  had more or less adopted Daisy after her first husband, his son, had died in the war. She had decided to retire and leave her place to her undercook.

This in itself would have been wonderful, had it not been for the fact that it was almost Christmas and the footman, Andrew Parker, who was married to Daisy, decided he too was going to give his notice, in order to work at the farm. He did agree to serve for Christmas, but there were still plenty of preparations to be made, such as procuring another footman. The stress occasioned by the worry for my father was almost too much for Donk. He therefore left everything to my Granny and Aunts; who were good at that sort of thing.

Before anything could happen, however, they first needed to say au revoir to my father.

Daddy never knew for sure how much of an agony it was for everyone when he left. He might have suspected it, however, in his perceiving way; for he apologised profusely to everyone for the inconvenience of his going.

The next day, when he left, the whole family and the servants were there to see him off. Even Mr. Carson, our former Butler and husband to Mrs. Hughs, was there as well.

Daddy was going to drive to the station in Thirsk, because he could get all the way to the coast with only one transfer. He would pick up my uncle from the pub on the way, and Aunt Edith and Uncle Bertie were to fetch the car back later.

My father took leave of everyone, almost as if he was not coming back. First, he went to all the servants, shaking the hand of each and exchanging a few parting words with the ones he knew best. Some of them were striving to back tears.

To the amazement of all, when Daddy got to Mrs. Hughs and took her hand, she gave a tearful smile and held out her arms to him. He hugged her without restraint. No one said a word about it afterwards. Many were aware of the fact that the old housekeeper was almost a mother to her staff; even the one who had moved upstairs.

He then moved to the family, hugging the women, and griping the men's hands. My Aunts kissed his cheek. Although they tried to check their emotions in typical British fashion, both their eyes were shining.

Edith hugged him.

"Goodbye Tom; be safe."

"Don't worry Tom," Mary said, also embracing him, "If you're arrested; I'll take care of your office for you."

She tried to joke on a subject that had a favourite with them. She had already taken his old office he had used when he was agent for the Abbey.

He smiled.

"Thanks a lot Mary; I'll be in your debt."

Aunt Isabel and Dickie bid him adieu in their turn. Daddy squeezed Isabel's hand fondly. After, I caught sight of her hastily wiping her eyes with a handkerchief. I thought I saw her shoulders shake.

I had rarely ever seen everyone showing this much emotion. The last time they all looked this glum at a parting, was when Daddy had taken me away from Downton to go live in America. This, more than anything, made me realise for the first time, that there was a possibility my father might not come back from Ireland.

Daddy, although he seemed almost like an Englishman, the way he had kept his chin up; nearly betrayed himself. The whole time thus far, he had kept his features in check. When he came to the children, however, his eyes filled with tears.

They threw themselves at him, actually knocking him over with their combined weights. He half sat, half fell, upon the ground; holding Caroline and Art, who were crying. They did not know exactly what was going on, they only felt a sense of grief. George and Marigold clung to his shoulders, but I stood a little ways off, leaning against Mummy to spare my ankle.

Daddy extracted himself from the children with the help of Nanny and their parents. In that moment, he had the time and presence of mind to compose himself once more. Passing his hand quickly across his eyes, he went to me and lifted me up. I nuzzled my cheek against his own; the tears streaming from my eyes.

"Goodbye loove."

His voice sounded constrained in my ear.

I said nothing at first, but hugged him tight; my heart too full for words. At last, I choked out a goodbye, and he set me down. I sank down onto the steps in front of the door.

My parents goodbye was bittersweet; in the love that was shown and the grief of taking leave. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Mummy and he kissed, and then stood together for a long while. He pressed his face against hers; visibly endeavouring to hold back sobs. She rested her head on his chest, and a solitary tear ran down her cheek.

"Goodbye, my darling." He whispered, loud enough for only she and I to hear.

His wife looked up into his face with a determined expression.

"This isn't goodbye, Tom; it's only au revoir."

He smiled and kissed her briefly, before walking to his car, casting glances back at us. He lingered a few moments before he left, and I believe he was giving himself time for his emotions to settle.

It was as if everyone had a premonition of evil, as we watched him drive away. Then, he was gone, stepping into an uncertain future; leaving his loved ones behind. God only knew how long he would be gone.

 God only knew how long he would be gone