Alarm

Branson left his daughter's room; worried and perplexed that she hadn't confided in him as she usually did.

He shook off the feeling, however, and went in to say goodnight to Lucy and the baby, before going to bed; where he lay awake, thinking of his son and creating fanciful castles in the air.

The next day, he went into Sybbie's room to say good morning, but she once again pretended to be asleep.

After gazing sadly down at her for a moment, he sighed and left her room; wandering about for a while before going to his wife.

He opened the door to find her sitting up in bed, holding her baby.

"Oh Tom!" She said, grinning tiredly at him, "I'm glad you're here; I've been thinking of a name for the baby, but I'm coming up blank. I need your help. Do you have any ideas?"

He sat down beside her as she carefully gave him his little son.

Branson supported the small head in his hand and looked upon him dotingly.

"I do have an idea," he said, glancing up at Lucy, "but I don't know whether you'll approve."

She smiled.

"Try me."

"Well, I'll have to discuss it with Mary, but I thought of naming him after my former brother-in-law, Matthew."

Lucy's eyes lit up.

"That's a wonderful idea!" She exclaimed, "you should ask Mary now, so we can think about the christening."

He nodded, returning his baby to her arms.

"Alright,"

Smiling back at his wife and child, he slipped out of the room and went to find Mary.

She was coming out of her room when he detained her.

"Mary!" He called, jogging up to her, "I need to ask you something."

"Well," she said, smiling sardonically but not unkindly, "good morning to you too." 

"Sorry," he laughed, "good morning. I was wondering if I could speak with you about my baby."

She nodded and looked at him attentively.

"I wanted to ask you if I could name him after Matthew."

She was stunned for a moment, so he took her hand.

"It's alright if you don't like the idea," he said gently, "I'm sorry if I've caused you pain."

She beamed at him suddenly.

"No! I think it's a great idea!"

"You do?"

"Yes! You two were great friends, and he did make you his best man at our wedding."

Branson was ecstatic.

"Mary, this is wonderful! I need to go and tell Lucy!"

He hurried back to his wife's room; Mary shaking her head in amusement at his enthusiasm.

He went back and told Lucy the news.

She smiled and kissed his cheek as he once again took his now sleeping son from her.

"Matthew," he whispered softly, smiling lovingly down at him.