downhill

(Y/N pov)

i was coming home from the hospital today. i was glad because i hated it there.

"ready to go Y/N?" i heard soda say.
"yeah, let's get out of here."

the hospital reminded me of the day we had to pick up johnny, dallas, and pony because of the church fire.

when we got home, all of the gang was at the curtis house.

"welcome home Y/N!" johnny said hugging me.
"hey doll." dal said patting my back.

i said hello to the rest of them and we hung out and ate some cake. i wish steve was here. i wish he were here for moments like this. but instead, he was stuck fighting those horrifying battles. i really missed him.

"hey guys, i'm gonna go lay down, i have a little headache." i said.
"ok get some rest kid." darry said.

i went and laid on pony's bed and cried for steve which only made my headache worse. i longed for him to be next to me. just for one second. was that to much to ask?

i probably fell asleep because i woke up at about 3 am, still in pony's room. i didn't feel well again, so i walked out to the living room. i seen pony and soda crashed on the couch practically cuddling. then i felt that urge again. i felt real hot and shaky that's the only thing i remember before collapsing.

(soda pov)

i woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of something fall to the ground. i got up and flipped the lamp on to see Y/N passed out on the floor.

"Y/N!"
darry came running out of his room. "what's going on?!"
"darry go start the car i need to get Y/N to the hospital, somethings wrong."

i carried Y/N out to the truck and drove off. darry stayed with pony.

i carried her into the hospital once more and they took her away again. i fell asleep in the waiting room until her doctor came and woke me up.

"son, wake up."
"oh sorry doc."
"don't worry about it. and your friend, we have the diagnosis."
"what is it?"

the doctors face saddened a bit.

"she has cancer."
"what?" i felt my heart drop. this felt unreal. i knew it. i was going to loose Y/N.

i dreaded calling darry. i just couldn't gather all my thoughts. i couldn't find myself saying that my best friend Y/N had cancer. i just had to lie to myself and say that she didn't. but the only thing is, i never believed myself.

i walked to the phone and dialed home. it was around 6 am.

"darry?"
"yeah soda?"
"you need to come now."
"ok i'll be there in 5."

i was now faced with the reality that i had to sit there and tell darry. the c word.

i seen darry walk through the door. i started crying. he walked over to me and pulled me into a hug. we both cried. i think he knew it was bad. we pulled out of the hug and we sat down.

"soda, tell me what's wrong?"
"she-she has c-c-cancer." i said through sobs.

darry's expression changed. his face looked numb.

"what?"