see you again

(steve pov)

the gang left. it was just me and Y/N. we sat talking about all of our favorite memories.

"hey stevie remember the time at your drag race when we all made signs and wore face paint?"
"yeah, that was really fun." i said laughing a little bit, remembering that night."

"and remember the time when we we were baking in darry's kitchen and you spilt the whole bag of flour everywhere and we had a flour fight?" she said laughing."
"i sure do. darry was not too happy with us." i said laughing.

Y/N seemed to be doing better today. or at least that's what i thought. i asked the doctor and he said not to get my hopes up, and that it was just a last burst of energy before- you know.

i sat there, just admiring how beautiful Y/N is. her contagious laughter and smile. i loved every bit of it.

...

i walked outside to talk to the doctor about the end of Y/N's life. it was tough, but i couldn't hide from it forever.

when i walked back into the room, Y/N was sleeping. she looked so peaceful, just lying there sleeping like an angel. that is what she is. an angel. an angel sent to earth to save me and to comfort me in my hardest times.

"goodnight, Y/N, i love you." i said giving her a kiss on the head.

..,

i woke up in the middle of the night- at about 2 am. i had a weird feeling in my stomach, like a gut feeling. i looked over at Y/N only to notice how shallow her breathing was getting.

i went outside the room to find a doctor, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. this was it. i quickly dialed the gang to tell them to come, and say goodbye. in about 20 minutes they were all here.

the room was filled with sadness, yet peace.

"Y/N," i said sitting right next to her. "you can rest now baby. you don't have to fight anymore. don't worry, we're all here." i said through sobs. i held her just like i always did.
"stevie." she managed to get out. "please, don't forget me."
"i will never forget you. you will always have a special place in my heart."

Y/N went limp. it felt like everything was going in slow motion, like time had just paused. everything around me was spinning. this felt like a really bad fever dream. i felt a hand on my shoulder.

"steve?" it was soda.
"yeah soda?"
"you ok buddy?"
"yeah- i'm alright." i said crying. i wasn't alright. my body was in shock. it just hadn't hit me yet.

i had just lost the love of my life. the only one who made me truly happy. she was ok though. she was at peace, not having to fight anymore.

i didn't want to go home- not without her. so i went to the curtis house for the night.

...

"let's go home stevie." soda said.
"okay."

we all walked out of the hospital together. without Y/N. it felt unreal. i was plain numb.

"we're home steve." darry said pulling up to the curtis house.
"steve you need to get some real rest. you can have my bed- i'll sleep on the couch." soda said.
"thank you soda."
"if you need anything just let me know ok?"
"i will."

i fell asleep for the first time without Y/N. i felt empty.