homecoming

(y/n pov)

i woke up with a bad headache. i looked over to my left to see soda, and darry was to my right.

"hey guys." i said weakly.
"hey Y/N, how are you feeling?" darry said.
"pretty awful to be honest."

i looked over and seen soda just sitting there. his face was puffy and red from crying.

"soda?"
"yeah Y/N?"
"what's wrong?"
"you just scared me, that's all."
"don't be scared, i'm ok."

i saw soda smile. i knew i was in a bad situation, but i had to be positive for the gang. i knew they couldn't fathom losing me, and that was the hard part.

"does your head hurt?" darry asked.
"yeah a little."
"it's probably from when you fell. if soda woke up you must've hit the ground pretty hard." he joked.

we all laughed. when the doctor came in, they must've given me some pain medicine because i went into a deep sleep.

(soda pov)

i needed to tell steve. the only thing was, he already has a lot of stress on him, being in war and everything, but this was too important to not tell him. he's not the only one battling something right now.

i sat at the table, not knowing where to start. how do you tell your best friend that's in war that their girlfriend had cancer?

Dear Steve,

Hey buddy, hope everything's going good. i am disappointed to tell you, but i'm afraid i have some bad news. Y/N wasn't feeling herself, and so i took her to the hospital. They ran some tests and they revealed that Y/N has cancer. I know that it's hard to hear, but she's strong, and she's gonna get through this. Please write back to me. We all miss you.

Your buddy,
-Sodapop Curtis

i didn't want to get too into detail with the whole situation because i'm sure he would be already worried enough.

i sealed the letter into an envelope and wrote the address. i can't believe i was actually mailing this, it seemed unreal, like a fever dream.

(steve pov)

i had just returned to my cabin from training and i received a letter. it said Stevie on it. that's how i knew it was from soda. ever since i was a little kid, that's what mrs. curtis always called me. i opened it and started to read.

no, no, this wasn't real. when i looked back down at the paper, some of the words were just blobs of ink, stained from my tears.

i rubbed my eyes hoping i would wake up, but i didn't. i put the letter back in the envelope and put it in my bag. i had to come home. 

that night i had the worst dream ever. i returned home, and Y/N wasn't there. the gang was sitting in the curtis living room when i walked in. they all gave me dirty looks, saying i wasn't there when Y/N needed me, and it was my fault she was gone.

i woke up, out of breath and practically crying. luckily none of the other people in my cabin heard me, they all slept so heavily. i eventually fell back asleep and woke up to the sound of a whistle, like i did every morning. today i needed to go to the commander's office and demand that i go back to Tulsa.

as i put my uniform on, i couldn't stop thinking about Y/N. her beautiful smile, her contagious laughter, and just how gorgeous she was.

i walked outside, and the humidity hit me like a tornado. i walked up to the commander's office and he let me in.

"what do you need randle?"
"sir, i need to go home."
"yeah so does everyone else."
"no sir, you don't understand-"
"that's what they all say."
"my girlfriend has cancer!" i said, a tear rolling down
my cheek.

his face looked surprised, and sad at the same time, like he wasn't expecting that. i wouldn't either if i were him.

"ok, you can leave. i'll book you a flight." he said, his face sad.
"thank you, sir."

it was a day later, and i went into my cabin, packing all my stuff. was i happy to go home? yes, and no. i didn't want to see my baby in pain. i was dreading it. but i couldn't wait to see her beautiful face.

i finished packing, and set off for the airport. i got on flight 117, to Tulsa, OK.