i'll tell the stars about you

(Y/N pov)

                                                               march 16, 1970

dear diary,

it's been about 4 months since my diagnosis. steve and i have been doing great. although, we both agreed that we would put my health first before our relationship. i've been recently feeling worse. all the treatment has really starting to get to me. last month i dyed my hair a really cool red color before i lost it. steve told me he would shave his head too, but i wasn't about to put him through that. i knew he would regret it even if he didn't admit it.

-Y/N

...

"hey Y/N watcha doin?" steve said.
"oh just writing."
"steve, you need to go back to work, you can't afford it."
"i'm not leaving you again."
"honey i'll be fine."
"ok, but i'm working night shifts when your asleep."
"sounds good." i said giving him a kiss. plus, it wasn't good for him to be sitting around all day worrying about me.

...

the gang has been so sweet to me. last week pony and johnny came by to help me decorate my hospital room. we hung some string lights from the curtains and clipped polaroids we took to them. twobit got him and i matching black bandanas, which looked really cute in the picture. darry comes by almost every day after work to check on me.

i have a lot of spare time on my hands so i've been doing some things like drawing and writing. i drew pictures of the gang. my favorite one was of steve in his military uniform. he just looked so brave and like he was ready for anything. also, i knew i didn't have a lot of time left, so i wrote each one of the gang a letter for when i'm gone. i just needed them to know that i was going to be ok.

"Y/N c'mon we're leaving!" steve said.
"where are we going?"
"somewhere." he said smiling, grabbing both my hands.

we walked out to his truck and he started driving. in about 30 minutes, we were there. we got out of the truck and walked on a trail, to this beautiful forest. in the middle there was a beautiful picnic setup. there was a brown picnic bench with some candles and string lights hanging from the trees with my favorite pictures of me and steve.

"oh my gosh steve, this is beautiful."
"yeah, i had some help."

he took my hand and we walked over to the picnic bench. there was our favorite food, pizza and chocolate cake.

i think this was the most romantic date ever. elvis and the beatles played on the record player.

"for i, can't help, falling in love, with, you."
"Y/N, will you dance with me?"
"of course."

we danced to the songs, not even realizing what time it was. soon, it was dusk. we laid on a blanket and watched the sunset.

"it's beautiful, isn't it?"
"yeah it sure is. all of the gold colors bleeding together like watercolor."

that's when steve got down on one knee.

"Y/N  Y/L/N, will you marry me?" his eyes were filled with truth. i knew this is what he wanted.
"of course." i said, a tear of happiness rolling down my face.

i admired the ring he just slid on my finger. it was beautiful, with a shining amethyst on it, that was my birthstone.

from there we leaned into a kiss. we stargazed for the rest of the night, trying to make out shapes from all the little stars, shining bright in the dark night.

"stevie, when i'm gone, just look up to the stars, and i'll be there."
"i will tell the stars all about you. how beautiful you are." he said.

...

i must've fallen asleep because i woke up in bed, steve wrapped around me. oh how i love him.

i slithered our of his grip, which was honestly quite strong. then i walked over to the desk and got out my box of drawings. then i got out my sketchbook and started to draw me and steve stargazing. it turned out beautiful. i didn't want anyone finding out about my drawings because they were personal, but i knew they would be found someday, just not today.

i heard steve start to get up and i checked the time. it was 1:00 am. he must be leaving for work.

i quickly stuffed everything back in the box and acted like i was going to the bathroom.

"good morning?"