sign of the times

(steve pov)

"what were you thinking!" i said to the girl who was now gone. great, now soda thinks i'm cheating on Y/N. i just hope he didn't tell her- i would be torn.

my shift was now over and i went to the hospital. when i walked into Y/N's room, she was sleeping, but her face was all red and puffy as if she'd been crying. soda told her.

i just sat there, waiting for her to wake up so i could explain myself. that's when soda walked in.

"steve what are you doing here? pathetic."
"soda, i need to talk to you."
"to be honest i don't want to talk to you."
"soda please, let me explain myself."
"ok fine."

we walked out of the room into the lobby.

"soda, you don't understand- i didn't even know that girl!"
"sure you didn't."
"she just walked up to me and started flirting. i told her i was in a relationship, and she walked up and kissed me."
"did you lean into it?"
"of course not! i pushed her off of me before you could see. if you were really my friend you would believe me."
"your right steve, i- i'm sorry for doubting you. i should've known you would never do something like that."
"yeah, and if i didn't love her do you think i would come all of the way from Vietnam? no. soda, i love her with every piece of me."
"i know steve."

with that, we walked back into Y/N's room, but this time she was awake.

(Y/N pov)

when i woke up, steve and soda walked into my room.

"Y/N, steve didn't cheat on you." soda said.
"what do you mean?"
"it was a miss understanding. he was working on a car when a girl came up to him and started to flirt with him. he told the girl that he was taken, but she leaned in and kissed him. but steve pushed her off of him."

i felt a tear roll down my face. i knew it. steve would never hurt me. ever. i couldn't speak, nothing came out. just a tear that rolled down my cheek.

"i'm so sorry Y/N." steve whispered, sitting next to me.
"it wasn't your fault baby." i said, caressing my fingers through his hair.

he smiled at me and the way he looked at me gave me butterflies.

...

i fell asleep once more in steve's arms, only this time he was holding me tighter, like he'd never let me go.

i woke up in the middle of the night, not feeling well at all. i got up to go to the bathroom, then all of a sudden i got really dizzy.

"Y/N, are you ok?" i heard steve say. no, i wasn't ok.

that's the only thing i remember before passing out.

(steve pov)

i woke up and saw Y/N standing before the bed. then, she passed out, i jumped out of the bed and picked her up in my arms and laid her on the bed. then i called for a doctor.

the doctor made me wait outside, which made me mad. i should be in there with her.

"mr. randle?"
"yes doctor?"
"Y/N is going to be ok."
"that's good." i said. why was i so awkward?
"yeah, would you like to go see her?"
"y-yes please."

when i walked in, she looked so fragile laying there. she looked- sick. a part of me knew that she was sick, but the other part didn't want to believe it. that part wanted to believe that everything was going to be just fine and Y/N would be coming home with me soon.

i needed to stop lying to myself, or it would just be harder.