Chapter 3

Mason turned out to look just like Connor with delicious caramel colored skin and shockingly blue eyes.  They both had model worthy bone structure and straight noses that were perfectly proportional to their faces.  Connor however had a dark freckle on his right cheek.  That and Mason was using a wheelchair.
I was introduced to the Alpha, their dad, who was easily 6'6".  He was one of the tallest, strongest men I'd ever seen in person.  The twins were tall and strong too, but not as muscle bound as their dad.  I was also introduced to both twins.  I consider this to be Connor's and my first introduction, because before we didn't talk beyond initially insulting each other.
Mason had a bitter twist to his plump lips, and didn't speak or offer his hand to me.  Connor didn't say anything, just nodded and shook my hand when Luna Victoria said his name.  The Alpha was introduced as Jamal, but using an Alphas first name is disrespectful so I don't do it even in my mind. 
"Welcome to our pack lands."  The Alpha said after the introductions were over.  "Thank you for doing this."
"I'm just grateful to get a second chance to have a mate," I respond.  "So thank you for inviting me."
"It wasn't really an invitation was it?"  Mason says quietly.
They all glance at him unsurprised.  Before I can comment on his comment Luna Victoria catches my attention as she glares at Connor.
"I just want to say I'm sorry about how things went before.  After seeing what Mason went through losing his mate I decided I didn't want one.  I could have gone about it better," Connor said after being prompted by his mother.
This is an awkward conversation.
"I didn't want another one either," Mason mumbles.  We all catch it, but it looks like the Alpha, Luna Victoria, and Connor were all set to ignore him, and continue talking.
"Can I talk to Mason alone, please?" I ask.
"Sure," Luna Victoria says, and shuffles everyone else down a hall.  The Alpha leaves last after a glance at his son.
"Do you not want to do this?" I ask.
"I don't care about the wheelchair.  I get around with it just fine.  My family and pack are determined to 'fix me' so this whole thing was cooked up," he says finally looking at me.  "They're forcing this.  I don't have a choice.  I don't want another mate.  Just stay out of my way." He continues, and then pushes his way down a hall opposite the one his family went down.  Yep awkward.
I wait a minute thinking about my options.  When the Alpha and Luna don't come back I decide to follow down the hall they took away from the living room.  I find them in the industrial kitchen 10 feet away.  From so close they must have heard every word.
"He's upset with this plan." The Luna says, "but he can't shift.  The damage will be permanent if he does.  No matter what he says, he needs this."
"We can't let him stay this bitter about her death anymore, and if this can heal him it will be worth it." Connor tells me.

Unknown POV
    She's only here to heal him. After that she's expendable.