Chapter 18

The portal.

Situated right where the blaze spawner was, where it should've been.

George watched as the players ran in and out of it, allies he assumed, surrounding the portal as if they were guarding it.

Whatever was going on in the other end, he had no idea, and Dream noticed this.

"They're fighting in the overworld," he explained, although George only frowned in an attempt to tell Dream that that told him nothing.

"Over?"

"The beds. We're trying to break their beds so they can no longer respawn nearby. Beds can only be placed in the overworld, and we're trying to keep the hunters there. Pretend we're focused on only destroying them," he said, leaning towards George. "It's a loop, we kill them, and they just respawn back there. Over and over until we get their beds."

George nodded, finally making sense of the situation, but it was cut short as more players began running out of the portal, many with lethal injuries.

Wounds that just seemed painful.

And pain just brought back trauma. Trauma from his still black hearts, and the barely patched up wound.

"We outnumber them, but all their best players can respawn." Dream sighed. "And we can't even send all of our players there, the other half are dealing with trying to find another blaze spawner."

"And which half are we in?"

Dream didn't even bother thinking about the question, quickly answering him. "Blaze spawners."

To Dream it was the obvious answer. It was the easier one. It was the safer one.

He was not leaving George alone, and he certainly was not going to let him get into another fight with the hunters.

But George just hummed in response, keeping his eyes on the injured players as they were brought to a makeshift medical station.

Because unlike those hunters, their lives mattered.

Unlike those hunters, they couldn't even risk being below four hearts.

"If we can keep them away from the nether we should be fine. That'll give us the chance to look around safely," Dream added. "Only we have to do it fast, they can't be held off for very long, and while our numbers are limited, theirs is technically infinite. If they have enough time, we'll be the ones at a disadvantage."

George tilted his head, processing the information.

They had to kill all the hunters to actually be safe. They had to break all the beds to even proceed to do that.

But they outnumbered them.

How hard could that be?

"They can't all respawn Dream. It shouldn't be that hard." He commented, but he was quickly shut down.

"Yeah, but all the good ones can. Plus they can be as risky as they want, as for the rest of us, we're not willing to die."

He reluctantly nodded, trying not to make eye contact with his friend.

For he knew Dream's stressed out, worried expression would only make him feel worse.

He wanted to believe they were at an advantage. He wanted the relief from knowing they had the upper hand.

But they both knew they didn't.

George shifted his eyes toward the medbay, surrounded in cobblestone, and situated right by the portal.