Chapter 9: Reconciles and real champagne

He obviously heard her gasp and released her arm quickly.

"Sorry I didn't mean to creep up on you like that. It's just- can we talk?" He raised his hand that wasn't holding a flute of champagne and scratched his neck, a nervous tick that always made him look more innocent than he was.

Mia immediately felt the dull ache in her chest that she was annoyingly getting used to, seeing him here dressed to fucking perfection In a dark blue button up shirt that was unbuttoned at the top just enough to reveal the chain of his dog tag and the muscles of his neck and upper chest, sleeves rolled up to his elbows to reveal his muscular forearms as well as his watch that his dad had given him for his 19th birthday recently.

Him standing there looking so good and yet so nervous to talk to her was the final note Mia needed to complete the symphony of feelings she had for this boy.

She couldn't trust her voice to be steady so she just nodded and puffed out a ball of air, his brow creasing with his natural frown once again,

"Look Mia I'm so so sorry okay? The other night I said things that I had no right to say and I've thought it all over and I realize now that I was wrong M. I-I thought by doing this I was protecting you but instead I was being immature, and stubborn and over-protective," he frowned down at the floor so he didn't catch the whisper of a smile on Mia's lips because she knew he hated admitting that he was over protective.

"I get it, I do. And I hate that you're angry with me and that you don't want to talk to me. I can't stand it. I barely even slept last night, and honestly I get it and I get that maybe you still need time but for my peace of mind tell me you forgive me because honestly I -"
"Hunter," Mia grabbed his hand, interrupting his rambling.

Her thumb brushed over his knuckles soothingly and he looked down at their joined hands then looked up at her with a look of vulnerability that made her stomach twist in uncomfortable ways.

"I've already forgiven you. And I most certainly don't hate you. In fact I don't think I ever could." She watched as his face slowly broke out into a full toothed smile, the kind that was so rare it could be classified as a comet sighting, but it sure took her breath away.

He released a harsh breath as his body relaxed in relief, and immediately pulled her into his arms for a warm bear hug. She melted into his touch, relishing in the overwhelming sense of protection that she got from his body warmth. He kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you M." He whispered into her hair before releasing her and holding her at arms length, taking her in,

"You look incredible," he shook his head while his eyes struggled to disconnect from her form, which only succeeded in making Mia's face flame up.

"Thank you-"

"Mia!" They both turned to see Miles a few yards away making his way over to them.

"What the fuck is he doing here?" Hunter growled,
"Hunter," Mia said in warning, "you have to be nice, I invited him," she gave him a sharp look as his eyes narrowed.

"And that's your decision of course, I respect that." He ground out, like the words physically pained him to say, and Mia chuckled, already liking this new dynamic.

Hunter stopped a passing waiter, downed his half empty glass and deposited it on the server's tray before picking up another tall flute of champagne, muttering a subtle, "I'm going to need this," to the waiter, whose eyes flashed quickly to Mia, then back to Hunter and nodded with a slight look of pity in his eyes before sauntering off into the crowd of guests.

"Wow Mia, you look incredible," Miles stepped between them to give Mia a hug and a lingering kiss on the cheek.
Mia's eyes flashed to Hunter over Miles' shoulder and caught his jaw clenching, obviously annoyed that he'd said the exact same thing moments earlier, and turned away to take another large gulp of his champagne.