Chapter 14: Hidden plans

For the next few days Hunter and Mia were very careful.

On Tuesday Mia's Dad took her and her mum to his friends new restaurant for dinner and "family bonding time" which her parents had used as an opportunity to pass passive aggressive comments at each other and bicker over the smallest things.

Safe to say Mia had spent the entirety of their dinner texting Hunter under the table.

On Wednesday Hunter had an appointment with his therapist, and since his Mom had recently flown back from her conference in Singapore, she had driven him there.

They had had little time to continue to explore the newfound fire that was raging between them.

So instead Mia's days began to be filled with lingering kisses that he placed on her forehead in the morning, his hands surreptitiously holding her bare thighs with his fingertips gently grazing the lace of her panties under the lunch table.

Such encounters left her burning with need and she had barely been able to contain herself in the midst of her friends, so they took bathroom breaks in both their classes after lunch to make out feverishly behind columns and in concealed corners, then go back to class looking a tad bit more disheveled and flustered than they had left.

Basically, things were not normal, contradictory to Mia's plan. Which was why she found herself on Thursday, watching the boys final basketball practice before the big game on Friday, feeling like she was about to explode from all the tension building up inside of her.

Mac and Minnie sat beside her on the bleachers. Mac was more focused on his sketching as he scribbled ferociously on his pad, while his sister kept her eyes glued to her phone as she slurped her famous post-volleyball protein shake.

Mia however was consumed by the sight of Hunter as he swiftly drifted around his opponents, she watched the muscles of his arms and legs flex and relax, like pistons driving a powerful engine, highlighted by the layer of sweat that coated the surface of his tan Greek olive skin.

She kept praying that no one could see her nipples hardening through the cotton of her sports bra and her fitted volleyball tank top.

Every so often when the whistle blew and the coach shouted a new set of instructions, his eyes would flicker to her and stay there, drenching her body with the chocolate warmth of his dark intense gaze.

That was her favorite part, as it set fire to her lower belly, and made her itch to run her hand through his blonde curls.

The coach blew the final whistle and the boys gathered, giving each other bro shakes as the coach talked to Ryan.

As most of the boys headed off to the showers Ry and Hunter walked over to their friends on the bleachers.

"Meet you guys out front in ten? My mum's making jerk chicken," Ryan said with a radiant smile. It was tradition that before any big game they had, whether volley or basketball, they would have dinner at Ryan's house where his mum spoiled them with a whole explosion of flavors and dishes from her childhood town in Jamaica.

"Ry is it going to turn into bible study again?" Mac asked, looking up from his sketchbook, "I mean I'm all for a good spiritual cleansing but the last time it lasted a whole hour," he whined, "and you guys don't even need that much prayer you're going to win tomorrow."

Ryan laughed, "No Mac it's not going to turn into a bible study chill."

"Okay well you guys go shower you both smell like sweat." Mia scrunched her nose, and Hunter, who had been absentmindedly playing with a curl behind her ear turned on her with a small smirk.

"Oh is that right?" Then he lunged down to grab her in his strong arms. Lifting her feet right off the ground and squishing her body to his. She spluttered and laughed, trying to crane her neck away while he rubbed his soft hair into her neck while laughing wickedly.

"Oh Hunter, that's gross put her down," Minnie complained behind them and Hunter chuckled and put her down, leaving his hand on her waist and sliding it up so his warm hand was on the bare skin of her waist. She leaned into him, his hard front grazing her back, but she straightened as Ryan turned towards them.

"Let's go Miller." And the two of them headed off to the showers.

••••••••••••••••

"Hey Mia!" Mia paused mid-conversation and turned to see Miles T jogging towards her. Min and Mac both turned also as he reached where they were standing.

"Damn I feel like I've barely seen you this week," he sighed, immediately bursting into his model-worthy smile.

The reason they hadn't spoken since she ditched him again at her dads party, was because she had been actively avoiding him. Looking at him now she felt immediately bad and opened her mouth to come up with some excuse.

"Oh no don't worry it's my fault. I've really been MIA, just trying to focus for the big game." He said before she could speak, and she internally sighed in relief.

"So I was thinking," he started, his charm switching back on with full force, "how would you feel about wearing my jersey tomorrow for the game. It's not very high-fashion but you can pull off anything so," he smiled brightly, and she felt herself blushing slightly at his open flirting.

She looked down at his hand holding the navy blue and black jersey and her mind went immediately to Hunter. How would he feel about that?

"Before you say anything, may I remind you that you kinda sorta stood me up again last weekend at your dad's party so," he raised his hands, "you kinda owe me Mia Romano."

She did owe him, she knew that much. He was such a good guy and she hadn't been treating him the way her mum had raised her to treat people.
Also Hunter wasn't her boyfriend. He was just her best friend. He probably didn't even want to be her boyfriend and was just enjoying having someone to fool around with, but also Hunter wasn't exactly that kind of guy and who knows-

"Sure!" She said out of nowhere, immediately shutting off her screaming thoughts that wouldn't do her any good, "I'll wear it Miles." She smiled and his face softened as he passed her the jersey.
"Great, I'll see you tomorrow at the game then," he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek before leaving with a departing wink.

"I'll see you then," she said with a grimace when he was gone.

"Damn, what at ass." Minnie muttered, watching Miles' departing figure with her head tilted and mouth slightly open.

"Ew? Earth to Minerva," Mac snapped his fingers in front of her face.

Ry and Hunter walked out of the front doors and made their way towards the three of them sitting on Minnie's hood.

"Uh guys I'm afraid I'm not going to make it tonight." Hunter said when he approached them, scratching his neck in his nervous tick.

"What? Why?" Mia frowned,

"It's tradition." Minnie pouted and Hunter's frown deepened.

"I'm really sorry," his eyes flashed to Mia, "my mum called, you know she's in town and she wants to spend some time together." He said and Mia felt herself deflate.

"Oh well that sucks, but we get it man family first," Mac offered and Hunter nodded shortly.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow at the game," he said, slapping Ryan on the back then jogging back into the school block.

"Okay then, more chicken for us," Minnie said jokingly and the others laughed, while Mia smiled slightly, trying to hide how disappointed she was that she wouldn't see him that night as they all got into their cars to head over to Ryan's.