Chapter 15: Basketball and basic bitches

"Well Miles was right cutie you make that jersey look like the spread of vogue," Minnie said through a mouthful of chilli fries that they were carrying from the food stands to their seats at the top of the bleachers.

Students, staff and parents alike filled the gym with a warm buzz of anticipation, excitement and nervousness.

Their high school took sports extremely seriously, devoting entire school days to practice for any team playing.

"Minnie you literally styled me, this is all you," Mia replied through her own mouthful of food, gesturing down at Miles' jersey which she wore over a fitted black crop T, with a black mini jersey skirt and her white Air Force ones.

Her hair was out in its usual mane of black curls and just like that she was the picture of the perfect athletes girlfriend.

Mia noticed the amount of girls, mostly sophomores and freshman, giving her jealous looks at the sight of the number on her jersey, making her remember just how many girls wanted Miles T and how happy she should be wearing his number.

But as the whistle blew signaling the start of the game, her eyes remained focused on only one head of dirty blonde curly hair.

He played incredibly: him, Ryan and their team all played with such connection and skill that by the time the whistle blew for half time, they had double the points that their opposing team did.

Mia had offered to refill the fries for herself and the siblings and was slowly regretting it as the line continued to move at a snails pace.

"Hey Mia," a sickly sweet voice that she knew too well made her look up from her phone screen slowly.

Andrea's platinum blonde hair had been flat ironed to perfection, and despite them simply attending a high school basketball game, she had on a full face of makeup.

Mia sighed,
"Andrea, why are you talking to me like we're good, I think we both know that our friendship needs a little break till you figure out how to stop treating people like absolute shit."
Mia said sarcastically and Andrea clenched her jaw slightly before slapping her fake smile back on.

"That's fine Mia, I just wanted to come over and thank you for letting me have Hunter yesterday," Mia froze, as her blood ran cold.

Andrea, noticing her reaction, gasped, "oh wait you didn't know?" She asked with mock horror. "Yeah he came over last night and we had a wonderful time. Such a shame that you have that sexy hunk hanging around like an ornament," Andrea leaned in to whisper in Mia's ear, "I don't leave them hanging honey. I like to get my hands on the merchandise, make sure they remember who they belong to." She leaned away with a smirk then spun on her chimmy choos and strutted away.

Mia's ears felt like they were burning as she tried to hold herself back from pulling Andrea back by her extensions and bitch slapping her to Mars. Her heart ached at the mere idea that Hunter would choose to hook up with Andrea and skip out hanging with their friends.

He wouldn't, right?

But he had been slightly weird about why he couldn't make it to Ryan's, as Mia distinctly remembered him avoided her eyes when he delivered his excuses.

Her heart was beating faster and faster every moment that she realized that the possibility of Hunter actually having ditched them to fuck his ex who he had history with was getting higher the more she thought about it.

As she ditched the line to go back to her seat, suddenly unable to trust her feet to support her for that long, she felt her jealousy burning under her skin like wildfire.

The whistle blew signaling the the beginning of the third quarter but Mia barely noticed.

Even when the final whistle blew and Ryan's team won, the gym exploding into a raucous of cheers and fangirl screaming, she barely noticed. Her mind was otherwise occupied trying to balance all the tumultuous emotions in her.

She was dwelling in anger and jealousy, as well as annoyance at herself for letting herself be fooled, which then led to sadness which immediately led to her possessive side taking over. This side wanted nothing but to show Hunter that she was Mia fucking Romano and if she wanted him then she was going to have fucking him and only him.

"Congratulations Ry!" Minnie screamed, giving Ryan a huge hug, followed by Mac then Mia who forced on a huge grin for his sake.

"Thanks guys," he smiled back energetically, after all basketball was the only thing that made Ryan truly happy, "I'm ready to celebrate this victory with some hard earned booze and good old halloweening!" He shouted, causing his teammates scattered across the school parking lot to hoot and holler in encouragement to their captain.

Mia's gaze floated around the crowd but Hunter was nowhere to be found.

"Oh Hunter's still in the locker room I think." He said, noticing her searching gaze. "He needs longer to wind down but his guys have already got the party ready so we can head over when we've changed into our costumes," he added, already getting his keys out.

Mac and Minnie nodded, following suit but Mia hesitated.

"I need to just talk to him about something real quick so you guys go ahead I'll see you there,"

She said and caught the curious glint in Minnie's eyes but refused to keep eye contact to avoid any questions as she turned and strutted back into the sports block, heading straight for the boys locker room.

She didn't know if she would cry, scream at him or kiss him when she saw him, but she was sure to find out.