Chapter One

The girl stumbled through the hallway trying her best not to make a sound. Her movements were always swift and silent just as she liked them. Just as they were always forced to be. In this house, she was a ghost, unless told otherwise. She didn't hate it that way, it was all she ever knew.

She walked into the shared bathroom and quickly threw an elastic in her hair. It wasn't as if the other servants would notice it was gone. They were all too busy trying not to get in trouble.

The bathroom was spotless and the girl made sure not to mess it up. If she did she would just end up cleaning it. She wanted so bad to take a warm shower and to brush the knots out of her blonde hair, but she didn't have any time. She never had any time.

The stairs made no audible sound to human ears as the girl made her way down the staircase, but everybody in the house knew she was coming. That was because the inhabitants of this house weren't human, not for the most part. Even the girl had a part of her that wasn't human.

"Mel, you better hurry up," a mousy brown-haired girl said.

Mel sucked in a breath. She knew she'd be late if she stopped to tie up her hair this morning, but she couldn't work with it in her face.

"I'm sorry, Cara. Are they coming soon?"

"Yes."

Mel felt her stomach flip. She didn't want to deal with her Alpha and Luna after what had happened yesterday. They were already in a bad mood about a rouge infiltrating their land, the last thing they needed was breakfast to be late.

Mel knew that small things set them off, which is why she set the table a little bit faster today.

"Did anybody know the rogue?" She whispered to Cara.

Cara bit her lip.

"No, nobody knew them."

Mel set down a silver fork in the Alpha's place. She made sure it was perfectly set before going to the next place setting.

"I can't believe we had to move the Alpha Summit because of the rogue. I know Luna Carry was looking forward to it. She was sure her daughter would be mated to one of the Alpha's there. Imagine an Alpha power couple," Another, older, female said.

Mel's heart fluttered at the mention of a mate. She had wanted one for a while now. It was possible to find your mate at sixteen, but nothing had fallen into place for her yet. She wasn't devastated, per se, but she certainly wouldn't mind finding her mate soon. It had been two years and she was ready.

"I'll be right back," Mel said quietly.

She had run out of napkins and needed to retrieve some more from the supply room. Mel could hear some pack members coming down the stairs. They would never dream of hitting her, but that didn't mean she wanted to be late. The pack members could say some rather nasty things to Omegas like her. Another thing Mel didn't want to happen was her wolf to be set off. That would make for a rather bad morning for her.

Mel quickly twisted the door handle and hissed when it wouldn't open. Stupid door, she thought. A quiet growl slipped past her lips as she pulled the door handle a little harder. When the door still didn't budge she yanked even harder. This proved to be a mistake as the door handle ended up in the palm of Mel's hand.

Her eyes widened and she could feel tears welling up in her eyes. She was going to be in deep trouble.

Mel was so worried and anxious she didn't even hear the footsteps behind her.

"You showed that door handle."

Mel turned around only to be met with a tall, grinning boy. Her breath caught in her throat at the thought of him telling on her.