One

A/n Before you start the story, please note that this story is based off of the song Nights with you by MØ please give it a listen when you can ! :D This story is also based in New Zealand, so the characters will all have english names. It's also based in 2004:) Rosé will be known as Rosie but Roseanne to strangers and family members. The rest of the Charcter names are normal. Thanks for reading !

June 14th, 2004

Rosanne Park sat on the kitchen counter while Jennie Kim rummaged through the cupboards and drawers.

"Seriously. Where are the straws?" Jennie asked, giving up and looking at her friend annoyed.

"I told you. They're in the cupboard." Roseanne answered.

Jennie rolled her eyes. "I already looked in there. Like, a million times actually." She shot back, though she still opened the cupboard and searched through it throughly until she pulled out a pack of plastic straws.

She happily trailed over to her cup of chocolate milk and put the straw into the cup.

"Martin is going to come over. Is that okay?" Jennie asked, to which Rosie's expression immediately faltered.

"No." She said plainly.

Jennie tilted her head. "Well, Oliver invited him over so you don't have a say in it anyway." She snapped.

"Then why did you ask?" Rosie shot back.

Jennie just rolled her eyes and muttered something to herself before sitting on the couch with her milk and flipping through the channels.

The front door rattled, as if it were trying to break free from the hinges and it opened to reveal Oliver, Roseanne's brother. Martin trailed behind him and immediately went over to Jennie to give her a kiss on the lips.

Rosie cringed to herself, having to look away and go back to the ice cream she was eating.

"Do your homework." Her brother said as he walked past her to get to the fridge.

When Rosie sat there for a moment, Oliver snatched the ice cream from her hands.

"I said do your homework!" Oliver screamed in her face, making her draw back and quickly walk to her room.

Jennie was left staring at her best friend's brother. It's not like she wasn't used to this. Everyone of their friends was used to it. In fact, Martin just stared at the television in front of him, his arm wrapped around Jennie as if nothing happened at all.

Rosie sat in her room, violently ripping her school supplies out of her backpack and tearing through the pages of her notebooks.

She got up from her bed, opened the door, and marched down the hallway.

She opened the freezer up and grabbed the ice cream she previously had in her hands.

Oliver looked at her skeptically. He looked as if he was about to raise his voice again before Rosie mumbled, "I don't have any homework."

"What?" Oliver snapped.

"I said I don't have any!" She yelled. Similar to the way he did to her.

This time, though, Oliver didn't scream back or take away her privileges like he did mostly always.

This time, he slapped his hand across her face, making her stumble backwards and almost fall out of shock.

"Don't talk to me like that, Roseanne. You know Mom wouldn't have liked to be talked to in that manner." He said, a little too calmly.

"Well that doesn't matter now, does it? Mom's dead. And besides, you aren't mom and you'll never be anything like her." Rosie retorted, taking a lick of her ice cream.

Oliver didn't reply and Jennie and Martin were now staring, a worried expression on Jennie's face.

*****

The rest of their friends were over now, and Jennie sat by Rosie's side on the couch.

"Did he hurt you bad?" She asked, thus being her hundredth question, at least.

Rosie shook her head, but Jennie still wasn't buying it.

"You're never this quiet."

She grabbed Rosie's hand and dragged her into the bathroom.

Rosie only refused to look at Jennie, worrying the latter more than she already was.

"Did he hurt you?" Jennie asked again, only for Roseanne to shake her head.

"Are you okay, Rosie?" She asked quietly. She grabbed the lower part of Rose's face and pushed her face towards her, forcing her to look at Jennie.

Jennie's expression immediately softened when she saw the tears threatening to spill onto her cheeks.

She pulled her best friend into a hug, which caused all of Rose's tears to tumble down her cheeks and soak Jennie's Sweater.

They sat in this position for a while and Rose felt as if she wanted to stay in Jennie's comforting hug forever.

When they finally pulled apart, Jennie lightly wiped away Rosie's tears and gave her a sad smile.

"He didn't hurt me." Rosie confirmed. "He just scared me. He's never done anything like that before. It was embarrassing."

If anyone knew how easily Rosie got embarrassed, it was Jennie. The smallest things made tears spring from her eyes and her face heat up.

"There's nothing embarrassing about that, Rosie. I promise. It wasn't your fault. He should be the one embarrassed for treating you that way." Jennie said in a comforting manner.

Rosie nodded. " Thank you."

Jennie smiled as if to say Of course, remember that you can ask me and tell me anything.

This was something Jennie said often, actually. She said it so often that Rosie was basically forced to believe it was true.

But in all honesty, if it came from Jennie's mouth, she automatically believed it.