Two

Jennie had a way about her that made anyone feel safe.

It was she way she smelt, the way she acted, the way she laughed, the way she talked, the hugs she gave, the facial expressions, the way she could make you feel better just by telling you it was going to be okay.

She was the type of person to happily dance around the kitchen with you at 3 am while pop songs played on the radio.

Tonight, Rosie was baking cookies while Jennie did this. They were at the latter's house because Rose didn't want to deal with her brother tonight. She knew she would sadly have to go back home in a few days, but Jennie told her to only worry about the present moment. So she did.

The smell of the soon-to-be chocolate chip cookies filled the house while Jennie twirled around the living room, an unfamiliar song playing on the stereo .

"You know what this song is called?" Jennie asked, not waiting for Rosie to answer.

"It's called I will remember. Can you guess who it's by?"

Rosie thought for a moment before smiling and putting the cookies in the oven. "Toto?" She said in a question-like tone, though she knew she was right.

"Correct!" Jennie clapped.

Rosie smiled at her excitement and leaned her body against the counter while watching Jennie twirl around to the beat of the song freely.

The song was slow, at least this was Rosie's definition of a slow song. Though it was the perfect song to float around to. How badly Rosie wanted to join her, but she didn't want to embarrass herself.

As if she was reading her thoughts, Jennie stopped dancing and held out her hand, waiting for her friend to take it. She contemplated it for a moment before thinking,

Screw it.

This was a phrase Jennie often said. Rosie liked this phrase. It was like as soon as she thought these simple words, she could do anything.

She took Jennie's hand, who immediately twirled her farther into the living room.

The two girls danced together for a while, Rosie falling a few times, but somehow she wasnt embarrassed at all. A worried expression would grow on Jennie's face and when she knew Rosie was okay, she would laugh.

Not at her, With her. Because Rosie was laughing too. Jennie had a way of doing that.

When Jennie fell herself, her laugh filled the room. A bright and bubbly sound that Rose could listen to for hours.

They stopped dancing so Rosie could check on the cookies, which were perfectly cooked. She took the pan out of the oven and set it on the top of the stove, allowing the tasty desserts to cool down.

When a certain song started to play throughout the room, Jennie looked up at her best friend with excitement.

Rosie knew the song, and she couldn't help but smile whenever it came on.

"Rosanna by ToTo." Jennie had said. "It sounds like your name."

As soon as she heard the song, Rosie fell in love wtih it. Maybe it was because her brain made her love it; because "it was named after her." Jennie would say.

Or maybe she just happened to love it. It became her favorite song in no time. This happened in 5th grade, making Rosie like this song for years now. It was still her favorite. It was special to her. This is why she and Jennie were so into ToTo and eighties music in general.

Oliver would often make fun of them. Saying that eighties music was "dumb" or "old". But Jennie would say, "That's the point of it. It's old." everytime. Then she would continue to listen to it.

Rosie wakes up to loud clatter the next morning. She rubbed her eyes and trailed into the bathroom towards the mirror, only to frown at her reflection.

She studied her face, trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Why it didn't look like it should. Why it didn't look pretty.

She heard distant footsteps coming down the hall and Jennie soon appeared in the doorway.

"Hey, Sleppyhead." She greeted, but she frowned when she saw Rosie's expression.

"What's wrong?" She asked, sadness in her voice.

Rosie shook her head, attempting to leave the bathroom, but Jennie stopped her.

"No, what's wrong?"

She knew there was no use in trying to deny there was anything wrong. This was Jennie after all.

"I just... Don't feel pretty?.. I guess."

Rosie fully expected Jennie to say "It doesn't matter if you aren't pretty, we aren't going anywhere, right?" Or "That's stupid. You don't feel pretty. You have to be pretty. So you don't think you're pretty, right?"

She only thought this because everyone else did. Or things along the lines of this at least. It didn't make Rosie feel any better, so she learned to keep her mouth shut. Especially to Jennie.

But Jennie said something completely unexpected.

"What?" She said in disbelief. "Rosie, You're gorgeous. Even if you don't always feel like it, I promise you are."

This put a smile on Rosie's lips.

Jennie didn't say she thought rosie was pretty, she said it like it was an obvious fact that anyone should know. Like it was as obvious as 2 + 2.

Rosie knew better than to deny it. Jennie was always right, so this made her feel like she was everything Jennie said.

"Okay." She simply said, a smile on her lips.