Secrets Revealed (Chapter 6)

Okie dokie guys, here is the next chapter and some of you may not like it but there has got to be some drama somewhere lol. As usual, thanks for all the votes and comments so far! Now, I'm going to hide b/c I know Maskedducky will probably want to skin me alive after this chapter! :)  Enjoy!!!

*****************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 6

Three weeks had passed and Katherine hadn't heard a single word from John. The only person that he was talking to was Kyle but he wouldn't tell her anything except he was fine and was getting help. Kyle hadn't even told Amy any details to what had happened or what was going on so Katherine just took it one day at a time now. Right now, that truly was the only thing she could do.

Early one morning, Katherine sat in her office working on a project for the school board when the secretary knocked on the door.

"Come in."

"Mrs. Stevens, someone is here to see you."

Katherine nodded without looking up.

"You can send them in." She said.

A moment later, a man about the same height and build as her husband walked in. He would have looked handsome if it wasn't for the almost sneer he wore on his face, she thought. Something didn't feel right to Katherine.

"Mrs. Stevens, I'm Agent Hobbs; I worked with your husband." The man stated.

"I remember you; have a seat." She gestured toward the chair in front of her.

The agent sat down and gave Katherine a calculating look like he was sizing up an opponent. Katherine wanted to squirm under his scrutiny.

"What can I do for you?" Katherine asked giving him the same look.

She all of a sudden had an uneasy feeling wash over her.

"I was wondering if your husband had told you about his departure from the bureau." Hobbs asked.

John had and she knew he had taken the sheriff's position a few weeks ago but something in her gut told her to lie. She couldn't understand the need but felt like she needed to follow her gut on this one.

"No, he hasn't. I haven't talked to him in a few weeks." Katherine replied.

Hobbs smiled slightly making a knot form in her stomach. The man was up to something.

"I'm sorry to hear that. So, you don't know about him almost having a nervous breakdown?" Hobbs questioned.

Actually, she didn't have to lie about that because no one told her.

"No, I didn't. Why don't you get to the point of this little visit?"

Hobbs chuckled a little.

"You sound like your husband, Mrs. Stevens." He paused for a moment. "Well, I wanted to tell you the reason for his little breakdown. I felt like I should be the one to break the news to you."

What the hell was this man talking about? She sat there a moment watching him, trying to figure out what he was up to. She had a feeling she wouldn't like what was about to come out of his mouth...

****************************************************************************************************

John pulled up at the lake house not knowing the reason he had been called here. He pulled up in the yard and memories of what took place just a few short months earlier started to run through his head. That was the last time he had pulled a trigger on any gun. For the last few weeks, every time he came here, the memories of the bastard that tried to take Amy from Kyle flooded his mind. He couldn't even imagine what he would do if something like that happened to Katherine.