Chapter 17

Vincent zoomed past the trees bordering the side of the highway. Victor's revelation about the real identity of Cara made him angry. He was hurt too but anger is what dominated his other emotions. His right hand twisted the race harder so the motorbike sprang faster. The helmet he wore saved him from the harsh, cold wind.

The reason Cara was not scared of him was because she never was to begin with. That night when she wounded him, she looked scared but now he was sure she faked it. She was never afraid. What else did she do that he did not know? He remembered the time when Victor pointed out about Alexis's lack of involvement when he kidnapped Cara/Alexis. At that time he ignored it with the thought that she might have either given up, not know where they were or was planning something big.

Did Cara/Alexis know he was going to kidnap her that night? His mind was in a whirlpool. His mind brought up the time when she cockily told him not to judge a book by its cover and that she was smarter than he was, to which he beat her to pulp. Now he felt angry at being guilty for hitting her.

Was her escape attempt to the forest a demo or was she really planning to escape before Victor caught her? She did knock Victor out this time, though. Vincent's pride and ego was severely bruised and he vowed to take her down for good – may his feelings be damned.

Last time he fell for a trick like this by the hands of a personal detective – Shelby Christ – that Jack Banks hired. She did a wonderful job in seducing him in the Darkness Club down Clear Avenue. He had to admit that vixen had him putty in her hands with her seducing smile and a tigress personality but before he could move further with what he planned, the door of the club was knocked down and large police forces barged in. He only figured her out when she disappeared from his view as quick as she came and later saw her shaking hands with the head of the police squad before making her way out. When he escaped prison, he took his sweet time torturing and killing her in her own apartment. They had all night and Vincent made sure not to let it go to waste. He could have ended Jack Banks as well but, alas, he did not know where he ran off to.

He promised to think from his head from then onwards but it all failed when Alexis came as Cara and messed with his head.

"Damn you, Vincent," he cursed himself.

His narrowed his eyes when he saw a light further away from where he was. He pressed on the accelerator and increased the speed. He slowed down when he reached a car – Victor's car. On guard, he got off the bike and tried looking around him in the dark on the abandoned road. If what he learned so far was true, Alexis must be somewhere around, waiting to sneak up on him and bring him to his demise. Cautiously, he walked towards the car. The driver's side of the door was opened. He stepped inside to look for something that might give away her location or her next trick but the only thing he saw was the flashing E indicating the ending of the fuel.

Vincent moved out and smiled cruelly. She must be around here somewhere. His eyes thoroughly wandered around for her silhouette but nothing was there. He stopped and thought about the possibility of her hiding here somewhere. If she wanted to attack him, she could have done it back in the cabin as well.

Which meant...

She did not deliberately leave the car here, she had to. Which meant currently she was on, foot making her way towards the city which was still five kilometres away from the car. If he stepped on it right now, he might find her to be close by.

***

Alexis huffed and puffed as she entered the fairy lights covered city. It was not like she was not athletic, she was but she had never ran this much all at once in her life. She stopped only once for two minutes to catch her breath before continuing. She was sure Vincent must have stopped by the car and inspected around it, plenty of time for her feet to eat up more distance between her and the city. Before she knew it, she collapsed on her hands and knees at the city entrance. She took deep breaths and tried to stand up.