Chapter 20

The cold October wind blew. The street was silent now. The people who were trick o' treating were asked by the police to clear the area so not a single person was seen. There were occasional movements of curtains from the houses nearby that indicated that the audience were there. This night was unlike any Halloween night.

Vincent and Alexis stared ferociously at each other. None of them moved but both of them were on guard, waiting for the other one to take the first step. The air was tense. None of them knew what future the upcoming minutes held.

Vincent shifted on his feet a little. It was barely noticeable but the movement did not leave Alexis's eyes. With one final breath, Vincent pushed his feet against the ground. This time Alexis did not wait on the defence, her feet pushed her as well. They both ran towards each other, the knives in their hands held tightly. Their shine was enough to represent their lustrous sharpness under the reflective moonlight. When they closed on to each other, they brought out their knives to strike the other. As if they both calculated the other's move, they shifted a bit which resulted in their arms to be barely grazed by the sharp knife and interlocked. Vincent brought his other hand up to punch her in the face but Alexis blocked the incoming punch by holding on to it. Their arms intertwined, now they fought with their legs.

Vincent tried to kick her off her feet but she dodged every time he tried. Jumping a few more times, Vincent moved his arm away from her and grabbed the hand she held her knife in. Turning around, he pulled her arm and threw her over his back. The sudden jerk on the shoulder made Alexis wince a bit but she bore it. Vincent flipped her in the air and brought her down on the ground, letting go of her in the last minute. Like a cat, Alexis landed on her toes easily and attacked him head on. She slammed her body against him, surprising him, as well as herself, with the strength when she was able to push him back. Vincent stopped himself by pushing his boots against the road. He pushed Alexis away and kicked her in the stomach. She let out a groan and fell backwards, away from him.

She then quickly stood up and held out her knife. Vincent did the same. They did not stand as casually as they did before. Both of their bodies were erect in a fighting stance.

They stood staring at each other again. There was a pretty big difference in strength between the two of them. Vincent was built and tall. Although, he was good with punches and kicks, Alexis was small and quick on her feet. Vincent liked to go for a more direct attack but with what he just saw in this brief attack, Alexis liked to go with the element of surprise. He needed to be careful while fighting with this little spitfire now. Vincent let out a crazy, sadistic smile at her.

'Our methods are completely different,' Vincent internally laughed, 'I can't wait to see how will it end?'

Vincent ran forward towards her in quick large strides, the wicked grin still on his face. He raised his knife and attacked Alexis, slicing through the air. Alexis moved to the right, getting away from the sharp weapon and brought hers towards him from below. Seeing this Vincent dodged it as well. They both attacked and dodged each other at the same time. In the midst of it all, their arms interlocked at the elbow. Vincent quickly brought up his other hand and pushed her arm to the back, overlapping his in an odd angle. Throwing his body on her as well, they fell to the ground but Alexis speedily wedged her shoes on his chest and, with a harsh cry, pushed hard at it when her back touched the ground. Vincent rolled away with the hard push. It surprised him how much strength this little girl had. He underestimated her completely.

Alexis quickly got up and jumped on his form, both of her hands held on to the knife as she brought it down to his chest. At the last minute, Victor blocked her by grabbing her wrists. Alexis's hands vibrated with the pressure she was putting on and Vincent stopping it. With force, he turned his body to the side and pushed Alexis off of him. Like a savage cat, Alexis recovered quickly and rushed back to him. Still on the ground, Vincent held himself up with his hand and kicked her right on the face. The impact had her falling on the floor. She looked back at Vincent to see him jump at her with the knife in his hand. She quickly pushed herself away from the ground. Vincent's knife made contact with the ground.