Chapter 13

Cara stood frozen. She did not see this coming. No wonder she was not treated like his previous hostages by either one of them; they intended to keep her with them forever. By the time she would have realised this, they would have moved far away from here. Thankfully, she was quick to control her outburst.

"For himself?" she whispered out to which Victor nodded, "That's impossible. He showed no interest."

"You think Vincent would have taken whatever witty you spoke to him for the past few days this easily if it were someone else but you?"

She understood now. The reason her and Vincent's banter decreased to a minimum was not only because she wanted to leave this place, and have him off his back, but also because Vincent wanted to be close to her. Following her around the cabin, staying out where she could easily see him from the window, this was all to get her attention.

"Well," Cara tried to keep her anger at bay, still not digesting what she heard, "Couldn't he have approached me in a more... normal way?"

Victor simply shrugged as an answer.

"You can't let him keep me here, Victor," she finally let out, "You need to help me escape. This... This is preposterous!"

She stood up and started pacing around the living room. Victor tried to calm her down.

"You know I can't do that," he said sadly, "It's not–"

"Why can't you?" Cara directed her question at him, her eyes burning with anger as she threw her hands in the air, "Don't you feel a tiniest bit of guilt? I know it, okay? I heard it. I know you didn't want to be a part of his shenanigans but had to because of something that happened to you in the past. I don't know what it is but that is keeping you here."

"You don't know anything about me, Cara," he hissed.

"Damn right I don't but whatever little I know is enough!" she seethed. They both glared at each other.

"This was not why I told you everything, Cara," Victor said sternly, "I only told you this to satisfy your curiosity."

"What did you expect me to do, huh?" she said heatedly, "Listen to it quietly and accept it? You and I both know, Victor, that's not ever going to happen. I'm leaving the first chance I get and if that doesn't work then I'm not stopping until I escape!"

Victor did not utter a single word after what she said but he did narrow his eyes at her. Cara closed hers and let out a deep sigh. If she wanted her escape plan to work, she had to make sure she did not let out anything about it again.

She tried to simmer down her anger a bit by breathing in and out but it was impossible. Victor clearly said he would not be helping her in escaping. How stupid of her to think for a minute that he might help her. When she finally managed to control her anger, she sat down to her previous spot and looked at Victor with pleading eyes.

"Please, Victor, you have to help me," Cara said, "You don't have to do anything but just sit there and pretend about not knowing how I escaped."

"I can't do that, Cara," he said as he began collecting the paper plates.

"I'll help you with whatever problem you're going through with," Cara persuaded, "I won't confide against you to the police, I promise."

"Enough!" Victor hardened his voice, "I'm nice to you only because I want you to be comfortable. Don't take me so lightly."

With that he picked up everything and began making his way towards the kitchen.

"You call this being nice?" Cara retorted in disbelief, standing up, "It's either you're putting a blind eye on Vincent's atrocious crimes or you're siding with him. Both ways you're helping him and you're as guilty as he is."