19

"What? Are you serious?"

Biglang tumaas ang tono ng pananalita niya. Nakita ko kung pano kumunot ang kilay niya, maybe waiting for me to give him more details but I have no plans on telling him what happened, kailangan pa ba?

"Sorry sir. I'm in a rush, I'll just.. later," I can't even say the right words. Nilagpasan ko siya at naglakad ulit ako ng mabilis papuntang office ni Mommy, leaving him there dumbfounded.

Mariin kong binuksan ang pinto. I was shocked to see them, my Mom, si Dad, kuya, and even Claire and Warren, they were all laughing! What the hell is going on?

Why do I feel like they all knew everything. Why do I feel like I am being betrayed by people around me? Fuck.

Natigil lang sila nang makita ako ni Mommy. She looked at them like she was telling them to stop from laughing.

"Oh? You're here agad? Have you met-" I cut her off.

"Yes. And because of that, I am resigning." I sounded so sure about it. I mean, I am, of course. I can't work with him, and I don't want to. It'll be the worst project if ever.

Everyone inside the office were really quiet. The tension between me is Mom is unbearable. Mom let out a deep sigh before putting her elbow on the table.

"Where is your resignation letter then?" Natigilan ako dahil do'n. Tiningnan ni mommy ang kamay ko na walang hawak kundi and bag ko lang. Tinaasan niya ako ng kilay kaya napakagat-labi ako.

"I don't have one." Pinakita ko pa sa kanya ang kamay ko. I felt so ashamed nang bigla siyang tumawa. I bit my lower lip and tilted my head. Valerie! Wrong move ka talaga. Napaka-tanga mo. "Later, I'll give it to you later." I said to assure her.

"I won't accept that later anymore," my jaw dropped because of what she said. Is she being serious? How can she do this to her 'own' daughter?

"Mom! Bakit ba kasi hindi mo sinabi saakin na si Jared ang Engineer?!" Naramdaman kong nagulat ang lahat nang mapalakas ang boses ko. I massaged the bridge of my nose to calm myself.

"Valerie, hindi ko kasalanang nag-apply dito si Jared. Ayoko namang sayangin siya dahil isa siya sa mga magagaling na engineer ngayon." She answered, calmly. "And the Senator personally asked me to assign you and Jared to work with their son's house." Sagot niya na nakapagpatahimik saakin. Then how did the Senator find out?!

"Ma'am, the board meeting is ready." Mom's secretary suddenly entered the office. Ngumiti saakin si mommy bago tumayo.

"Let's talk later. We'll go ahead." I instantly dropped my shoulders when Mom walked passed me. Dad and kuya tapped my back before going out of the room. Naiwan kaming tatlo nila Warren dito.

"Warren, can't you just replace him as the engineer?" I suddenly asked.

"Valerie, I can't. Alam mo namang ang client and ang boss ang masusunod. I can't ask your Dad kasi under siya sa Mommy mo." He said with a very apologetic voice. Warren went closer to me and I felt him leaning my head against his chest. I again felt another hand rubbing my back, it was probably Claire.

Tears started to pool around my eyes, I had to purse my lips to stop them from falling. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ako naiiyak. Just by the thought of me working with Jared is making me feel scared.