Chapter Thirty Three: Unwelcomed

The three mages looked at Devin as if they couldn’t wrap their heads around what he just said. After their little history lesson, it was hard to determine was truly in front of them and what was just in their heads.

            “Who?” Nadia asked, though she couldn’t tell if she asked Devin who he was, or who the company was.

            “The Trajarean Army.” Devin softly spoke. “Ms. Ross and Calvin are distracting them right now. They told me to tell you three to leave because the Army has yet to spot you.”

“Don’t dispel your robes.” Mari whispered to the other two.

“I’ll d-disguise our voices.” Nadia moved her hand in a fluid motion.

“Ms. Ross wants you to run.” Devin repeated.

“We don’t run.” Jared’s voice was much deeper.

“Devin, stay hidden.” Mari’s voice sounded very distant.

“I can help though!” Devin argued. “I’ve been learning!”

“We’re not saying for y-you to not help, w-we’re sa-saying to stay hidden.” Nadia’s voice had an echo to it. The three of them then slowly rose up and none of them bothered to hide their Books.

“Caroline Ross, you are wanted for the crime of desertion.” The commanding officer shouted. His troops had the mages blocked in with no hopes of escape.

“Hadn’t noticed.” Ross retorted.

“You will come quietly.” The man commanded.

“What are we? Chopped liver?” Jared yelled. The commanding officer looked past Ross and stared at the three.

“The Robed Figures I presume?” The man asked without expecting an answer.

“No, they’re the cloaked people.” Calvin laid on the sarcasm hard.

“Whether you are robed or cloaked,” the man shot Calvin a look and Calvin winked at him. “it does not matter to me.” With a motion of his hand, his men charge.

“We gonna actually attack them?” Mari asked as the three ignored the soldiers that headed towards them.

“Of course not, they’re just doing their job.” Jared wove two of his fingers together and about one third of the soldiers that were supposed to come at them fell over their own feet.

“So w-we’re going to pl-play pranks?” Nadia asked.

“More fun that way.” Jared smiled. “Heard that Devin?”

“My specialty.” Devin grinned. And he disappeared into the tall grass.

“No Legend?” Mari asked as she had two mages see stars.

“I doubt th-the Legend has pra-anks.” Nadia said as she made five soldiers live out a dream of being dancers.

“Create an opening then leave. We’ll meet up somewhere.” Jared then teleported away to cause mischief.

“I think he’s looking forward to this.” Mari shook her head.

“Aren’t you?” Nadia grinned slightly. She dissipated.

“And I thought we weren’t using them.” Mari sighed. She simply walked into their one-sided prank war.

Devin had a blast. He knew that the people he pranked wanted to harm him and his friends. He knew that mere pranks wasn’t enough to stop well-trained soldiers. He also knew that wasn’t the point, which is why he could have so much fun.