CHAPTER 1

IT WAS NEW YEAR'S EVE. Y/N Montez, a sixteen year old girl, was sat reading on a couch in the lobby of a ski resort. Her mother decided to spend the new year with her daughter at a ski resort. Yes, she was excited about learning how to ski, but the news her mother told her just an hour ago, has dampened her mood. They were moving. Again.

Every year, her mom gets transferred to a different place, forcing Y/N to pack up and move to a different town. Because of not staying in one place for so long, Y/N didn't make any friends. She knew any friends she'd make, she would just end up leaving when she moves away.

The Montez family will be moving to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Y/N sighs from her place on the couch, turning the page in her book.

"Y/N." At the sound of her name, Y/N looks up to see her mother standing above her, a stern expression on her face. "It's New Year's Eve. Enough reading." Her mother says, taking her book out of her hands, causing Y/N to sit up.

"Oh, but mom, I'm almost done, and..." She says, reaching for her book back. She stops at her mother's stern look.

"The teen party?" She asks Y/N causing her to slump in disappointment. "You promised you'll go. Now up, up, I've laid out your best clothes. Come get ready." Her mom orders causing her to reluctantly get up.

"Can I have my book back?" She asks causing her mom to sigh and hand it over to her. "Thank you."

"Come on."

..................................................

Troy Bolton, star basketball player, coach's son, total dream boat, seventeen year old high schooler. Troy Bolton is the star basketball player of the East High Wildcats basketball team. His family came to the ski resort for winter break. He is a junior at East High, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His dad and him are playing a game of one on one basketball in the hotel's gym, practicing for the championship game.

"Keep working left, Troy." Coach Bolton tells his son, before checking him the ball. "You got to guard the championship game where expected. You'll torch them."

"By going left?" Troy ask getting ready to make the play, his back to his father.

"Yeah, he looks middle. You take it downtown."

"Ok, like this?"

Troy fakes going left, before turning around to the right and shoots the basketball, it going through the net smoothly.

"Woo, that's it man."

"Ok, that's it. That's money."

"Sweet, we'll see that in the game."

"Boys."

Coach Bolton and his son, turn around to see Mrs. Bolton standing in the doorway of the gym, wearing a long green dress.

"Did we really fly all this way to play more basketball?" Mrs. Bolton asks walking towards her son and husband.

Father and son look at each other before saying in unison, "Yeah."

"It's the last night of vacation." Mrs. Bolton says, before turning in a circle as she continues, "The party, remember?"

"Right, the party. The party." Mr. Bolton says, looking thrilled at the idea. "New Year's Eve."