CHAPTER 5

IT WAS Y/N'S SECOND DAY AT EAST HIGH. She woke up that morning with a smile on her face, excited to see Troy and Taylor at school. Pulling on a pair of jeans and a white long sleeved shirt, Y/N rushes down the stairs of her house.

"Mom, lets go!" Y/N shouts to her mom, heading out the door. Ms. Montez drives Y/N to school, waving bye as her daughter jumps out of the car. "Bye!"

Y/N makes it into home room before Troy, smiling at him when he walks in as the bell rings. Troy notices Y/N in the back, smiling back at her, not sitting in his seat, just staring at her.

"Well," Ms. Darbus states in Troy's ear causing him to take a seat at his desk. "I expect we all learned our home room manners yesterday people, correct?" Y/N and Troy sneak glances at each other as Ms. Darbus talks. "If not we have some dressing rooms that need painting. Now, a few announcements. This morning during free period will be your chance for the musical auditions. Both single and pairs." Sharpay turns to face Ryan begins her, clapping excitedly. "I will be in the theatre until noon for those of you bold enough to extend your wingspan of your creative spirit."

"What time is she due back on the mothership?" Chad whispers to Troy, laughing. Troy just slightly smiles, wondering if he should go and see if Y/N auditions.

Before free period, Troy was at his locker, putting his books away. He was going to go to the auditions and see if Y/N was there. He was walking towards the auditorium but was stopped by Chad.

"Yo, what's up, man."

"What's up."

"Hey, so look the whole team's hitting the gym during free period." Chad explains, "What do you want us to run?"

"Dude, you know what?" Troy says trying to think of a lie, "I can't make it. I've got to catch up on some homework."

Chad laughs in disbelief, "What? Hello, it's only the second day back. I'm not even behind on homework yet, and you know I've been behind on homework since preschool."

Troy laugh, knowing it was true. "That's hilarious. I'll catch you later."

Chad watches as Troy takes off down the hall. "Homework?" He says suspiciously to himself, "No way." He follows Troy, making sure to keep his distance as to not be spotted.

Knowing Chad would follow him, Troy ducks into a classroom. He greets someone from the basketball team, knowing Chad is watching him. "What's he doing?" Chad asks himself. Chad gets distracted when one of his teammates greets him.

"Hey, Chad."

"How's it going, man?"

Seeing Chad was distracted, Troy runs to the back of the classroom, leaving through the back door of the room. Chad looks into the room, seeing Troy not in there anymore. He looks around the classroom, trying to spot him, as Troy walks right behind him, Chad not noticing.

Troy races down the stairs quickly, Chad looking over the railing seconds after Troy left. He makes his way outside about to enter the school in the back entrance. He stops when he sees a teacher walk out, hiding. When the teacher passes, he bolts to hide behind another wall, peeking around the corner for any teachers. Hearing a door open behind him, he pales when he sees his dad. Quickly hiding behind the wall, he tries and thinks of a way out. Seeing no other choice, he sprints to the shop door that was left open.

He walks through the class, trying to appear nonchalant, watching as students work on cars. He's almost at the door when the teacher looks at him confused.

"Shortcut." Troy explains, opening the door that leads into the school hallway, "Late for class."

The shop teacher shakes his head as Troy runs down the hall to the auditorium. Once he reaches the auditorium, he grabs a janitor's cart that was by the backstage entrance. Walking with the cart in front of him, he shields his face, as he walks to peak between the curtains at the people auditioning.