CHAPTER 8

THE NEXT DAY AT SCHOOL, CHAD CORNERED TROY IN THE LIBRARY, ASKING HIM ABOUT THE MUSICAL.

"What spell has this elevated IQ temptress girl cast that suddenly makes you want to be in a musical?"

"I just did it." Troy replies, not seeing the big deal. "Who cares?"

"Who cares? Who cares?" Chad repeats in disbelief. "How about your most loyal best friend." He says a little too loudly, causing the librarian to go over to them.

"Quiet in here, Mr. Danforth."

"It's him, Ms. Falseff, not me." Chad blames Troy, raising his hands in a shrugging motion. Once she leaves, Chad continues, quieter. "Listen, you're a hoops dude, not a musical singer person."

Troy just sighs, walking away from Chad causing him to chase after him.

"Have you ever seen Michael Crawford on a cereal box?"

"Who's Michael Crawford?" Troy asks, grabbing a book off the shelf.

"Exactly my point." Chad says, before grabbing the book out of Troy's hand, forcing him to look at Chad. "He was the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. Now my mom, she's seen that musical twenty-seven times, and she put Michael Crawford's conference picture in our refrigerator." Troy looks stunned. "Yeah not on it, in it. So my point is if you play basketball, you're going to end up on a cereal box. If you sing in musicals, you're going to end up in my mom's refrigerator."

Still stunned about the picture in the refrigerator, he asks, "Why would she put his picture in her refrigerator?"

"One of her crazy diets ideas." Chad says, shrugging. "Look, I don't attempt to understand the female mind, Troy." Ms. Falseff peeks around the bookshelf they're standing by, Chad spotting her. "Its frantic territory."

The two boys walk away, Troy grabbing his book from Chad, sitting down at one of the tables, trying to finish up some homework. "How can you expect the rest of us to be focused on the game, if you're off singing somewhere in leotards singing Twinkle Town?"

"Hey." Troy says, shaking his head. "No one said anything about leotards."

"Not yet my friend, but just you wait." Chad says, causing Troy to shake his head. "Look we need you captain, big time."

"Mr. Danforth."

"I tried to tell him, Ms. Falseff." Chad says, looking at Troy. "I really tried."

..................................................

Chad, Zeke and Jason walked into the science room, Taylor's first class. Sharpay and Ryan happened to walk by, her grabbing her twin's arm stopping him.

"Something isn't right." Sharpay says seeing the basketball team talking with the science nerds. They walk to the doorway of the classroom, trying to hear what's being said, but failing as they were too far away.

"They must be trying to make sure that Troy and Y/N actually beat us out." Ryan says, having just heard, Troy's and Y/N's names. "Now the jocks rule most of the school, but if they get Troy into the musical, then they've conquered the entire student body."

"And," Sharpay continues, silently seething. "If those science girls get Y/N hooked up with Troy Bolton, the scholastic club goes from drool to cool. Ryan, we need to save our show from people who don't know the difference between a Tony Award and Tony Hawk." The twins walk away, a plan forming in their minds.

"Do you really think that's going to work?" Taylor asks Chad, once he finishes explaining his plan.

"It's the only way to save Troy and Y/N from themselves." Chad admits, honestly.