CHAPTER 9

THERE WAS A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN TROY AND Y/N. Troy hardly wanted to practice basketball anymore, only running during it.

"Hey, captain." Chad exclaims, running over to hand Troy a basketball.

Troy just shakes his head, before running down the track, his teammates looking after him.

"Hey, what happened?" Zeke asks Chad as Troy runs from the team.

"Don't worry about." Chad said, thinking Troy was just not feeling well.

It was noticeable to his dad as well. Troy spends his afternoons, trying to shoot baskets, but failing every time. Groaning, when the ball doesn't go in the net, Troy grabs it and throws it at his fence. He falls to the ground, thinking of what he could have done or said to Y/N for her to ignore him. His dad sighs, worried for his son as he closes the door he was standing in.

During lunch for school, Y/N and Troy would avoid the other. They've only had one awkward interaction. Y/N almost ran into Troy as he walked out of the lunch line. Quickly apologizing, Y/N sped walked away from him, ignoring Taylor's wave to come sit by her. Instead, she sits at a different table, it's occupants not acknowledging her.

Troy stares after Y/N sadly, before walking pass his table, Chad calling him over, "Troy." He just shakes his head, before walking up the stairs to head to the roof, Y/N watching him.

Taylor and Chad look at one another, wondering if what they did for their friends was for Y/N's and Troy's own good or their own.

Standing up from their table, Chad, Jason, and Zeke venture up the staircase that leads to the roof, Taylor telling them he hides up there, remembering Y/N told her so. They walk up the stairs to see Troy sitting on the bench, staring at nothing.

"Hey," Chad greets, Troy looking over at his friends. "We just had another team meeting."

"Oh, wonderful." Troy says wondering if it was about him again.

"We had a team meeting about how we haven't been acting like a team. I mean us, not you." Chad clarifies pointing between Zeke, Jason, and himself. "Look about the singing thing. We—."

"Look, dude." Troy cuts him off, shaking his head. "I don't even want to talk about it."

"We just want you to know that we're going to be there cheering for you."

"Huh?" Troy asks.

"Yeah," Zeke replies, "if singing is something you want to do, we should be boosting you up, not tearing you down."

"Yeah," Chad nods in agreement. "Win or lose, we're teammates. Ok, that's what you're about. Even if you turn out to be the worst singer in the world." Chad says, punching Troy on the shoulder slightly, Troy smiling.

"Which, we don't know because we haven't actually heard you singing." Jason steps in.

"And you're not going to hear me sing, guys." Troy says sadly, thinking of Y/N. "Cause Y/N won't even talk to me. And I don't know why. She also said she'll forget about me too? I don't know what I did and I can't fix it."

Zeke, Jason, and Chad look at each other. "We do."

Troy looks at them confused.