Part 10

Emily places the list up and A-troupe rushes over. Richelle makes her way up first, scooting past the others.

RICHELLE: This has got to be a joke.

JACQUIE: Are Michelle and Emily out of their minds?

SUMMER: I could have done better. A lot just has been weighing on my chest and I need to do more to prove that I am a great dancer

NOAH: Some people are not going to be happy with this.

PIPER: Is what I'm reading correct? Are Michelle and Emily sure about this?

OZZY: Was I hoping to dance with Richlle by ourselves? Yes. But we still got the other dances.

KINGSTON: I obviously need to put in more work but at what cost. I can't slack on my homework again. It feels like i'll never get to where I want to be

FINN: I'm just glad to be dancing with my girlfriend and my friends.

KENZIE: I'm happy I'm featured in at least one dance but I can't help to think that I could have been in so much more.

HENRY: To say I am disappointed in myself would be an understatement. I can't help but to think that I got distracted by Amy and her situation.

After everybody is done looking at the list they walk back to the middle of the floor and turn to face Michelle and Emily. A few dancers have smiles on their faces, while some are visibly upset.

"I know you can all read but I will announce the dancers out loud for each category. If you have any problems with our decisions, the door is right there and you can leave. For female soloist we will have Piper." A huge smile comes across Piper's face. Amy gives her a hug followed by Finn. Richelle off to the side whispers to Jacquie.

"Is there a problem girls?" Michelle asks.

"No, Michelle," they both say together.

"Good. Now our male soloist will be Noah."

"Our duet will be Piper and Finn."

RICHELLE: Did Emily and Michelle not watch Noah and I's duet at regionals? We should have gotten the nationals duet.

"For the trio we will have Richelle, Summer, and Jacquie."

SUMMER (sarcastically): This is going to be so much fun

JACQUIE: Atleast Michelle and Emily had some sense to put me in this dance. I guess I have to take what I can get.

"The first small group will be an acro routine that will feature Kenzie, Richelle, Jacquie, Noah, and Amy."

RICHELLE: How did Amy get on a dance? I thought she was the alternate. I shouldn't complain though. I'm at least in the dance too.

"The second small group will be a contemporary dance that will feature Ozzy, Noah, Richelle, Summer, and Jacquie."

"We thought long and hard about these decisions and consulted with our closest friends and colleagues. These decisions are final. There are hundreds of dancers waiting to take your spot so you should be happy that you are a part of this team whether you are featured or not. You can be upset but do not let it affect your dancing. We need to come together as a group to win nationals. I know you guys can do it," Emily says.

"With all that being said, the first thing we will work on is the semi-final routine. We have picked out a song and are planning on doing a heavily based hip-hop routine. Henry we would like to feature you for 16 counts in the dance. We want to let the creativity process be up to you guys but if we need to step in we will," Michelle says.

"So you guys have fifteen minutes to deal with your emotions regarding the dances and who will be featured and then come back ready to work. We have less than a month at this point," Emily says.

The room falls silent as Emily's heels click against the floor. A few of the dancers head over to the cubby area, while some stay on the floor.

"This is amazing Pipes," Finn says as he picks up Piper from her knees and spins around, "It's you and me against the world." He twirls her a few more times and then puts her down. They share a sweet, short kiss.

"I'm so happy I get to dance with you," Piper tells him. They kiss again.

"Congrats Noah," Jacquie says as she gives him a hug.

"Thanks Jacquie. Are you okay?"

"I will be in due time."

JACQUIE: I don't want Noah to know how I truly feel because it will just be a step backwards.

RICHELLE: I have to be civil with Piper and the rest of the team. It's what has to happen. I know eventually I will be so happy for Piper but right now all I feel is hurt.

"Congratulations Piper."

"Thanks Richelle. I really appreciate that."

Richelle walks back over to Noah and Jacquie.

"That was very mature of you Richelle. I'm proud of you," Noah says.

"Thanks Noah." Noah gives Richelle a side hug to cheer her up a little.

KINGSTON: I want to be happy for my bros and the rest of the team but I am the only one without something. Even Henry has a feature in the group dance so he has something. I just have two group dances. I wish I could go back in time and execute that lift perfectly.