56. Bloodbending

Yozora's POV

"You know you should be careful. People have been disappearing in those woods lately." Hama pointed out as she guided us to our rooms.

Lee stopped our track. "What do you mean "disappearing"?" Lee asked.

Hama unlocked the door, "When the moon turns full, people walk in and they don't come out." She turned to us and gave a bright smile, "But don't worry, children! As long as you don't go out, you'll be safe and sound!"

I looked at Lee, who had by now fallen completely silent. I gulped nervously.

"Don't worry, you'll all be completely safe here." Hama clasped her hands together and smiled brightly. "Why don't you go sightseeing around the town? I heard the market brought in new stuff from the Earth Colonies!" she asked.

I nodded and smiled at the kind woman. I gently tugged Lee's shirt, "Lee, let's go. I want to see what they have." I said enthusiastically.

He nodded, "As your wish, princess."

-

"No way! I've been looking for this silk robes for ages!!" I squealed as I grabbed the green dress excitedly.

A short girl, around 15 or 16 came up to me grinning.

She must be the shop assistant.

"The company hasn't been making those high quality dresses for almost a year! That's the last one we have for this season." the shop assistant said grinning.

"You would look amazing in that dress, miss! The color would pop your eyes more, it would look so beautiful on you!" she said, persuading me to buy it.

I made up my mind and smiled. "I'll have this one then." I said as I handed her the green dress.

She nodded happily and went to put it in a bag. After we left the small dress shop, I overheard two villagers having a conversation by a stand.

"You won't have any ash bananas till next week?" the buyer asked. Shop owner replied, "Well, I have to send the boy to Hing Wa Island to get them, and it's a three-day trip."

"Oh, right. The day after tomorrow's the full moon." the buyer said. "Exactly. I can't lose another delivery boy in the woods." the shop owner said in a lower voice.

Lee seemed to get worried about this rumor in this tiny village and murmured to me, "The woods seem really dangerous, my princess. I suggest you don't go anywhere near there." Lee said sternly.

I puffed my cheeks. "You know I can take care of myself, right?" I grumbled. He sent a pebble behind my head, making me curse.

"Why the spirits did you do that?!" I said as I rubbed the back of my head.

"You're in the Fire Nation. You're under the Fire Nation. So don't even think about going after whatever that is in the woods." he said smirking.

I sent a gush of air under his robes, making them fall on his head. It revealed his underwear making me snicker.

"It's not like I'm running away." I smirked, "I could never leave without Ookami!" I giggled before I skipped away from the young Dai Li agent.

And with the blink of an eye the next day came. Hama and I were strolling on the outskirts of the village and Lee finally gave an exception to have a little privacy with Hama because I lied that I wanted to talk about the betrothal necklace and the sad story behind it to the old woman.

Like a gentleman he is, he decided to butt out of my business and leave the two of us alone.

"A friend of mine said you were from the South Pole!" I said excitedly. She smiled and nodded. "Yes, I am." she giggled.