Chapter 28: Gondor's Hope

Three days is what it took for Gandalf and Pippin to reach Gondor. While Amdi and Aragorn were in Rohan, sneaking away for secret picnics and horseback rides, trying to catch up on the 30 years they had spent apart, enjoying the calm while they could, Gandalf and Pippin had just made it to Minas Tirith. Not wasting any time, as soon as they entered the city Gandalf had Shadowfax take them to the very top of the city where the Steward would be residing. As they walk towards the door they pass a dead white tree. Pippin spots it. "It's the tree! Gandalf, Gandalf." he says almost in disbelief

"Yes, the white tree of Gondor. The tree of the King. Lord Denethor however, is not the King. He is a steward only, a caretaker of the throne." Gandalf told him before he stops and turns to the hobbit. "Now listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir and Amidirel's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn and Amdiriel either. In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all Peregrin Took." concluded the wizard. Pippin nodding in understanding and followed behind Gandalf as they walked through the massive hall. Approaching the throne where a man sits in a seat at the base of the steps to the throne.
"Hail Denethor son of Ecthelion, Lord, and Steward of Gondor." announced Gandalf as he bowed his head to the man in respect but remained Denethor bent over a broken horn.
"I come with tidings in this dark hour and with counsel." Gandalf continued.
"Perhaps you come to explain this. Denethor says as he shows the horn to them. "Perhaps you have come to tell me why my son is dead."
"Boromir died to save us my kinsman and me. He fell defending us from many foes." explained Pippin as he approached the throne and knelt down before the steward.
"Pippin." Gandalf tried to stop but the hobbit continued "I offer you my service, such as it is in payment of this debt."
"This is my first command to you. How did you escape and my son did not? So mighty as a man as he was." demanded Denethor.
"The mightiest man may be slain by one arrow and Boromir was pierced by many." Pippin explained. Denethor then became visibly upset by the news of how his son had been killed at the hand of the enemy.
Gandalf walked forward hitting Pippin with his staff to move him out of the way.
"Get up!" he told the halfling.

"My lord, there will be a time to grieve for Boromir but it is not now. War is coming. The enemy is on your doorstep. As a steward, you are charged with the defense of this city. Where are Gondor's armies? You still have friends. You are not alone in this fight. Send word to Theoden of Rohan. Light the beacons." Gandalf advised him.

Denethor had to hold back a sneer. "You think you are wise Mithrandir. Yet for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand, you would use me as a shield against Mordor, and with your right, you would seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Theoden of Rohan. Oh yes, word has reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn. And I tell you now. I will not bow to this Ranger from the North and I refuse to bow to my disgraceful exiled daughter. Last of a ragged house long bereft of Lordship."
"Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the King and Queen, steward." Gandalf replied sternly but Denethor jumped up angrily. "The rule of Gondor is mine and no others!"
Pippin looked between Gandalf and Denethor as they stared at each other angrily. Gandalf turned "Come!" he instructed Pippin, seeing that he would not win over the man as they walked from the hall quickly.

"All had turned to vain ambition. He would use even his grief as a cloak!" Gandalf all but growled as he looked back at the stubborn steward. "A thousand years this city has stood and now at the whim of a madman it will fall! And the white tree, the tree of the King and Queen will never bloom again."

"Why are they still guarding it?" Pippin asked as they walked through the courtyard.

"They guard it because they have hope. A faint and fading hope that one day it will flower. That the King and Queen will come and this city will be as it once was before it fell into decay.
The old wisdom born out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons.
Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry or in high, cold towers asking questions of the stars. And so the people of Gondor fell into ruin.
The line of Kings failed. The white tree withered. The rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men. Amidiriel fought for the people, for them to be restored and there was hope but only for a moment before it was snuffed out." Gandalf explained to the young hobbit as they walked along the parapet to the end.