Chapter 18: Being Strong

The next day, the city of Edoras was in mourning. They were to bury their prince, a final goodbye. Amdiriel and the others were eating breakfast when a guard approached them. "I apologize for the interruption but the king wishes to see you, my lady." Amdiriel nodded her head and stood to her feet. It may have been decades since she roamed the halls of Meduseld but she knew where the guard was leading her. Not too soon Amdiriel found herself outside of Théodred's room. The guard bowed and left her in the hallway. Amdirield shut her eyes for a moment to take in a deep breath before she walked in since the door was already open.

Amdiriel took in the sight, Théordred's room had not changed much since they were kids, except for the weapons he had were now real ones and the bed was much larger now. That is now were Théodred's body laid, dressed in his finest armor, beside him his father sat on the bed until he saw Amdiriel enter. He stood to his feet as she walked, her eyes filled with tears as she saw that her friend was truly gone.

"It has been a long time, my lady." Théoden said. "It has, nearly a year since I last saw you. I wish it were under very different circumstances." Amdiriel replied. The two then turned to look at the bed. Théodred's face was now pale white, nothing like the tan skin he usually had from being outside for many hours of the day, for he hated being inside. "He loved you like a sister, Amdi, always spoke so highly of you and the times you shared." his father told her. Amdiriel nodded her head as a tear fell from her eye. "I know and I loved him too...I am going to miss him very much. All this is not how I thought it would be." she told the king. "Nor I." he replied.

"I am sorry Amdi...Lord Aragorn told me about Boromir's fate only days before Théodred..." Théoden said. "I find comfort in knowing that Boromir is with mother and they were both there to help lead Theodred to the hall of both our fathers and that the war has ended for them...they can rest now." Amdiriel said. "Yes, I am sure they will look after each other." Theoden said. Amdiriel chuckled "They would be trying to best each other in duels like when we were younger." she said. Theoden chuckled too, remembering when they would spend hours of dueling in the fields to see who was better than the others, acting like children when they would lose.

"I have a favor to ask of you." said the king, Amdiriel nodded " Éomer will not be able to be here, I ask that you would stand in his place..." Amdiriel looked to the man "I know it would have meant a lot to Théodred." he told her. Amdiriel nodded, Théoden went over to the drawer and pulled something from the inside it. Théoden turns around and in his hands was one of Amdiriel's headdress that she had forgotten on one of her peace missions to Edoras before everything happened. 

"He kept it?" she asked

"He kept it?" she asked. "Always said you would need one and that you wouldn't have one and when that day came he could brag about how he would save the day...and that a princess always needs a crown." he said and placed the headdress on her. Amdiriel smiled as Théoden the placed a hand on her shoulder, no words were said nut they didn't need to be said. They both knew they had to be strong, for the people.