4. Drunk.

"So you don't really follow any YouTubers?", Ajey asked me shockingly.

I shrugged and sipped my hot chocolate and replied, "No, I mean I have seen some videos, but I haven't really been a fan of these kind of...apps, you know?"

"Oh. Why?", he asked and threw his empty plastic cup, which was earlier filled with latte, into the cafè's dustbin.

"I particularly have no interest in them, as such. If I had exposed myself enough to these kind of platforms, I would surely use them as a normal teen. But since I have not let myself to go into that kind of addiction, it's like this. Moreover, I don't want any distractions between me and my career goal as for now. Sounds nerdy but yeah.", I said.
This wasn't true.
Not even a bit of it.
It was quite the opposite. Ever since Maa's death, my academic score has been stooping very low, as opposed to Papa's and Ahaan's concern about my future, which was ascending higher and higher day-by-day, the reason behind which has been mercifully ignored because both of them were busy most of the time.
I guess they will have something less to worry about tomorrow.
I won't be of burden anymore.

Moreover, after her death, literally all of my hobbies also sort-of...died.
For four overwhelming years, my burdened life has been spent reading books or writing poetry.

"That's...understandable, I guess", he replied, the quiver in his voice betraying the 'understanding' he just admitted.
I smiled sadly at him and looked away just in time, for he did not miss that look on my face.

Fortunately, he decided to keep his mouth shut.

We had literally explored the whole damn hotel. Living upto it's name and the grandeur it promised, it was beyond gorgeous. Nupur had no idea what she was missing out on.

Half-an-hour earlier, Ajey's stomach had rumbled, suggesting a little trip to the hotel cafè. And here we were now, at 1:30 a.m. I sipped the remains of my hot chocolate and threw it in the dustbin.

Together we exited the cafè.
"Ajey, have you seen the time...?", I asked shyly. I have never stayed away from my family for such a long time.
That also at an unfamiliar place.
Not to mention sipping beverages with a complete stranger by my side.

Suddenly, he looked at his watch and exclaimed,"Oh, fuck! Yash is going to kill me if he finds out!"
He chuckled nonetheless.
"Yash?", I questioned.
"My elder brother. But anyways, he is a very deep sleeper. Kuchh pata nahi chalega usse.", he said.

I clicked my tongued and said, "But you are a 21-year old anyways. You are legally an adult and you can do whatever you want."
"Yeah, I know, but still. Hain toh woh ekdum desi bada bhai hi, na? I am pretty sure that your elder sibling scold you too.", he shrugged.

I had to laugh at this. "Arey jab mujhpe gussa aata hai na, tab scolding bhi nahi, seedhe chappal hi aati hai muh pe! But mostly mere kaarnaame Nupur tak nahi pohochte." I said.
He nodded and replied, "Lucky you!"

What followed was dead silence between us. For some minutes, we said nothing to each other. Although it was past midnight, room par jaaneka mann nahi tha.
Maybe it was him.
Maybe it was the mystical night.
Maybe both.
Who knows?

Ajey didn't exactly mention about going back. I felt really good like this. Just like this, being with him. It wasn't anything like ke I had developed a crush on him. He was a sweet and funny guy. The stranger beside me had made me laugh, so effortlessly.
I hadn't laughed in almost four years. I loved feeling so free, but there was this...this reality tugging at my inside, whispering that this isn't forever.
Not eternal; neither him nor the feeling.