12. 'Pro' Cyclist.

2 July, 2021
9:57 a.m.

I was in my room, packing my bag when someone shouted.
"How will you go, Ahalya? Teri toh bike bhi repairing mein di hai.", Ahaan shouted from his room.

"Arey beta, his 'BFF' will take him, no?", Papa said from downstairs.

"Oohoohooohooo! Papa is savage AF!", Ahaan shouted from his room.

I rolled my eyes as I kept my laptop charger in my bag. Apparently, my exams were just round the corner and I had to go to the near by library to collect some reference books on psychology. Unfortunately, my bike had broke down recently and now, I had to find some other way to reach there.

I exited my room and shouted to Papa down the stairs, "I can take my own cycle, thank you very much."

There was a ruffle of paper, Papa was reading the newspaper, and he snorted, "Kyu? Won't your new best friend forever take you, huh?", he said in a teasing manner.

I whined.
"Okay, okay. Sorry, thik hai?", he asked.

"Cycle rehne de beta, you are still an amateur at it. Main tujhe court jaate chhod dunga."
"Papa, chill. Imma pro at cycling!", I called back.
I entered Ahaan's room. He was studying as he had to give an exam today, again. (these Science students, I tell you. Have to study everyday)

"Sunn, I am taking your earphones. Mere headphones kho gaye hain.", I said.

"Just go without listening to songs for once!", he said.

I sighed, took his earphones from his bedside table and said, "Tu apna kaam kar. And after all, you have an exam in an hour, padhai kar chup chaap."

"Says someone who spends her entire time with her 'BFF' at CCD.", he said.

"What, Ahalya? You are meeting him today also?", Papa shouted from downstairs.

How did he listen? I mean, humare beech mein kam-se-kam ek samundar ka faasla hoga!

But that was the truth. Actually, Ajey has been asking me to come to his house for at least two weeks now.
I was really excited at first, but then I became anxious. So, I hadn't really visited his home.
The thing is, I wanted to go to his home earlier, but then I realised his great position. I mean, meeting his elder brother, who was like a big artist, and his parents....
Wouldn't it be all akward?
And what if his parents also reacted the same way my dad did?
Phir toh pura fuck ho jaayegaa.

Anyways, so he has been inviting me to his home ever since he came here. And I have been dodging his invites by giving him all sorts of excuses; exams, dad, extra work, but yeah, mostly padhhai.

I don't know what I am going to do.

I went downstairs and Ahaan followed me.
"Beta, I tell you, padhhai pe dhyaan de de. You are being distracted. Exams ke baad mil lena.", Papa said.

"Don't worry, dad. I am not meeting him today. Or any day until my exams get over. Okay?", I reassured him.

Papa sighed loudly and said, "Ahu, why aren't you as serious as Ahaan. See, how much he studies!"

"Yeah. Exactly. Mere se kuchh seekh le. Bhalaa hoga tera.", Ahaan commented.

Huh.
I completely ignored him and said to Papa, "Dad, let me ask you one thing. Ahaan studied every minute of every day of the whole year in our 12th standard. How much percentage did he get?"

He was smiling slightly at me. "93.2 percentage.", he answered.

I knew he knew where I was getting at.