Chapter 34

Rowan sighs and steps away from the edge of the water, turning to go back up the riverbank. It's dusk now, the shadows are almost invisible, having stretched so far that the ground is almost enshrouded by one single shadow. She taps Kyma on the shoulder. The other girl was staring wistfully at the water, almost like she's debating slipping beneath the surface. Rowan taps again.

Kyma looks up from the water. Rowan has to hold back a choked gasp. Kyma's eyes are red and puffy, slightly bloodshot. She sniffs, the sound a whisper amongst the burbling cry of the river. Rowan nudges her arm. She girl turns to look Rowan in the eyes, her arms wrapped around her chest. Rowan lightly grips her shoulders.

"Are you alright?"

Kyma shakes her head. "No."

"Will you tell me what's wrong?"

Kyma nods, sighing. "I miss the sea. Is that strange? I was just there, but I miss it anyways."

Rowan shakes her head. "Not at all. I miss the forest the moment I step outside of it. But it isn't just the sea, is it? If it was, I don't think you'd be crying like this."

Kyma nods. "I miss my people, I miss the island, I miss my friends. I miss . . ."

Rowan smiles sadly in understanding. "You miss your home. That's alright."

Kyma sighs. "I just wish I didn't feel so bad. I feel guilty for leaving, even though I know that I need to be here."

Rowan pulls on Kyma's arm. "Come on, let's head back. Would you like me to point out all the plants here?"

Kyma nods eagerly. "Please."

Rowan points to one of the nearby plants. "See that?' Kyma nods. "That's wood sorrel. It's really tasty but you don't want to eat too much of it."

"Why?"

"Too much of it can loosen your bowels."

Kyma winces. "Yeah, that isn't good. What else is there?"

Rowan laughs.

~~~

Rowan steps through the door of her house, yawning. The sky is dark, stars blooming overhead. The sun's been down for at least an hour now. There is a rustling sound from the kitchen and Rowan's spine stiffens. Flame sparks to life in her palm and she closes her fist around it to hide the glow. With silent feet, she creeps toward the kitchen. She slips around the corner and looses a breath. It's just her grandmother. Rowan sighs.

"What are you doing up still, Gran?"

Aisling smiles at her granddaughter. "I was waiting for you. What have you been doing all day?"

Rowan shrugs and shakes her hand out, killing the flame. "I was with some friends."

Aisling raises an eyebrow. "Friends?"

Rowan nods, beaming. "Yes, I have friends."

Her grandmother hums. "And they're not human friends."

Rowan winces at her grandmother's tone. It's flat, wary. "Gran . . ."

Aisling raises an eyebrow. "What? We should be wary of the fae, especially with our experiences."

Rowan shakes her head. "Gran, not all of them are bad. My friends are good."

Her grandmother shakes her head. "Just because you think that doesn't mean they are. What if they want to hurt you?"

"But they don't. They want to help, Gran."

"Help with what?"

"The Seelie Lord, of course."

Aisling's eyes widen. "Why in the world would they want to help with that?"

Rowan reels back, shocked. "Gran! They've had similar experiences, so they want to help. Why are you being so defensive?"

Aisling sighs. "I just don't trust the fae, Rowanberry."

Rowan scowls. "Don't be prejudiced, Gran."

"Why shouldn't I be? They've done nothing but hurt us."

Rowan shakes her head. "You, Gran. They've done nothing but hurt you. They've helped me. A few bad fae, but the rest are good. My friends are good."

"I hope you're right, Rowanberry. We'll talk about this more in the morning."

Rowan huffs and turns away from the kitchen, walking into the inky darkness. She won't be able to make her grandmother see sense, not this late. A flame sparks on her fingertip, lighting a path before her. Even without it, Rowan would know the way back to her room, but the light does help. Once inside, she closes the door behind her and lets the flame flicker out.

The darkness inside her room is soothing, unlike the oppressive darkness outside. She can see the flickering light of fireflies beyond her windows, two of them. They're level with each other, flashing in and out of sight. Rowan smiles and climbs into bed. The sheets are cool against her skin, sliding across the bed with a whisper. She closes her eyes.
________________________________________________________________________________
I'm really not happy with Rowan's grandmother right now. What do you think of Kyma's longing for her island? Will Rowan be able to get through to her Grandmother? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.