Chapter-4

Ana and I climbed out of the car cautiously. She wrinkled her nose in disgust as her she stepped over some zombie goo. The smell here was so bad that it made me want to puke.

A guy with short-cropped sandy brown hair and a hefty gun was standing in front of us, grinning from ear to ear.

"We just save your ass man, a thank you would be nice."

"Oh, um, thank you," said Ana, blushing at her lack of manners.

He grinned at her.

"Don't worry gorgeous, I'm just messing around."

Ana reddened even more. I sighed.

"Zeno! Quit flirting and help me clear the zombies off this path. We have to head over to the lab after that."

A very pretty Asian girl with long dark hair clambered over the rocks to where we were standing.

"The lab?" I echoed.

"Yeah, the one at Central Wulfaria which has the..."

"Zeno shut up!" the girl snapped at him. "You're no good at keeping secrets at all."

Zeno looked offended.

"Well, Cali, I figured since they were on this terrifying path, they were obviously after the..."

She threw up her hands in the air.

"What should I do with you?" she sighed.

"We know about the cure." Ana piped up.

"Yeah, do you guys wanna travel together?" I asked. Our supplies were dangerously low and we could use some protection. The way Zeno had killed all those zombies was awesome.

Cali narrowed her eyes at us.

"Are you infected?" she asked.

Both of us shook our heads.

"We should take them," said Zeno, who was busy cleaning his gun. "We took the other girl too. She turned out to be an awesome fighter."

"Yeah." Cali's face softened.

"Well, I suppose we'd better pool in our resources then."

Zeno whooped and Ana smiled in relief.

"I suppose we could celebrate this with beer..." he began and then subsided as Cali cleared her throat. Dang, that girl was bossy. I grinned at Zeno and he grinned back.

"Can any of you fight?" she asked, staring at us doubtfully.

"A little," Ana admitted, blushing again.

"What about you pretty boy?"

"I can," I said indignantly. "And my name is Axel."

"Good for you," she said, looking bored.

I just sighed. Zeno nodded at me sympathetically.

"Come on Ana, you can help me organise everything."

Both the girls headed over to where a jeep was standing.

Zeno held put his gun to me, startling me out of my thoughts.

"This is Bad Baby," he said proudly. "It's approximately killed four hundred zombies so far."

I whistled, taking in the gleaming black body. Zeno wasn't kidding. The thing was deadly.

"Want to try it?" he asked excitedly.

I raised the gun and fired it at a tree. The loud noise nearly made me drop the gun. I'd at least managed to hit the tree.

"Not bad for a first time."

"I've always wanted to fire a gun like that," I told him.

He took back the gun and cradled it in his arms.

"I can teach you if you like."

I grinned at him.

"We're going to have so much fun."