Chapter 12

Kim yawned back and sighed deeper, crushing her face in the pillow. "Stop." She groaned at her mother for spreading out the curtains, the sunlight directly hitting her in the face. Kim pulled her blanket to her head, as protection but her mother pulled it from her, allowing the A.C.'s cool temperature to touch her bare skin.

"Mom." Kim groaned at her. "Let me sleep." She said as she folded her knees to her chest, warming them up.

"It's 11 already. Don't be sleeping beauty anymore." Ms. Crawford leaned in Kim's ear and screamed.

"Alright, fine." Kim said as she sat on her bed, rubbing her eyes. She bent forward to stretch her back and yawned as she scratched her hair. Kim reached her hand to wipe the sweat from her philtrum.

The smell of mud and grass lingering in her sweatshirt's sleeve fold caused her to smile, making her unaware of her environment. Kim closed her eyes again, dreaming last night. The magical one she experienced with Jack.

"Kim, honey, is that grass in your hair?" Her mom asked as she ran her fingers in her hair, snapping Kim back into reality.

"What?" She asked as her eyes grew. She swiftly brushed her hair with her fingers, trying to hide the evidence.

"Where were you?" Ms. Crawford worriedly asked her, raising her eyebrows.

This was some sort of question which was problematic for sure. Firstly, Kim was not in a story-telling mood. Secondly, she would be in big trouble and lastly, it was meant to be a secret. A secret which was very special to Kim. A secret which she wished to last between her and Jack only.

"If I tell you, promise that you won't ground me or tell anyone." She asked her mom, making up a face.

"I'm listening." Ms. Crawford nodded.

"I uh, Last night I, um," Kim trails off.

She took a few seconds to gather up some courage and breath. "Last night I was with Jack." She told her, explaining the full story. How he texted her, took her to the park, didn't even complain about her being on his back, the biting, the scaring and the tickling, bringing her back here, and the kiss.

"After that, he left." Kim sighed after the explanation was done.

Kim stared at her mom weirdly smiling at her.

"That's it? It's over?" She asks.

Kim rolled her eyes at her. "Duh. You can't have it all in just 5 hours. But the point is, I liked it." She paused to shrug. "Even if it was 5 minutes, I would have thanked life for being so kind." Kim added as she blushed harder.

"Are those some feelings?" Ms. Crawford asked her daughter while she was still smiling.

Kim quickened her smile in an expressionless gesture. "No." She said, removing her hand from her cheek. This was why Kim didn't like story-telling with her mom. Her mom would guess the sequel even without the story's beginning.

"Don't lie to me. I know you better than yourself." Ms. Crawford shot at her.

Kim rolled her eyes at her mom. She noticed her stare as if she was hoping for an answer. "What?" She snapped.

"You like Jack, don't you?" Her mother asked the question as if she was obvious about reality.

"I've told you, he's just a friend." Kim answered casually.

"Should I tell the doctor about your outing with prince charming last night?"

"You promised that you wouldn't." Kim worriedly said.