Chapter 21

All this week, Kim was no longer what she used to be. The cheerfulness, the confidence, the charming smile of hers was gone with that incident and she wasn't able to forget it no matter how hard she tried. He belonged with her, didn't he? And now she wasn't sure.

Every time she'd try to be happy, she'd spot them or references of the newest/hottest couple of Seaford High which made her equally disgusted and disappointed. Jack was with her- why couldn't she deal with it? Why couldn't she move on?

Kim's parents were back in town and she ignored them, even her parents- the ones who didn't play any part in any of this. A boy came into her life, did something to her, and at once, without any reason, left her to hallucinate over their past, leaving her absolutely clueless.

It was Thursday evening.

Kim was lying lazily on her bed, hugging her pillow. Staring at a spot, spacing-out, and day-dreaming had become her primary habit. She'd need people to shake her, snap their fingers at her to bring her back in the real world.

Her eyes were watery from staring too long and she didn't even realize it until a knock came on her door, breaking her thoughts.

Kim starts blinking her eyes and rubbing them as she realizes she was staring for a bit longer than she had planned.

"Kim, can I come in?" The voice from behind the door asked her once again.

She wipes her eyes. "Yes."

Kim swiftly forced an unnatural smile on her face, so that her mom wouldn't question her. But again, she fails miserably.

Her mom approached her bed and sat down beside her, forcing the sheets out of the way. She quickly analyzed her face and despite the smile being on her face, she knew that deep down, she was sad and needed a helping hand.

"What's wrong?" She leaned her head on Kim's shoulder.

"Nothing." Kim replied as she sat down on her bed, getting up from the lying position and folding her knees closer to her upper body, hugging them with the tiniest amount of force.

Kim's mom wasn't convinced.

"You sure?" She asked again.

Kim leaned her head and weakly nodded her head as an answer.

There was a moment of comfortable silence between them, but her mom decided to break it with another question. She placed her hand around her daughter's shoulder, clearing her throat.

"Did something happen with Jack?"

Kim pulls away from the side hug and lets out a silent chuckle. "No, absolutely not. Why would you say that?"

"If you say so." The corner of her lips turned to a small yet comforting smile.

She pulled her back in a side hug and kissed the top of her head which Kim rubbed, being slightly embarrassed. The forehead kisses were good when she was three. "Mom, I'm not little anymore." She said, faking annoyance.

"You'll always be little for me." Ms. Crawford paused. "There's someone who wants to meet you." She added, looking at her with the brown eyes.

Kim pulls back steadily. "Who?"

"Moi, mademoiselle. Moi." A proud voice that belonged to Shelby came from the door.

Kim now was happy for sure. She raised her arms in her direction, giving a 'hug me, idiot' sigh and she immediately ran to her, giving her the hug she wanted, no, needed. They pulled back after five-second, leasing giggles.